Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
BlueBeat
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:23 pm

x

FLS NamePresetEditor - a tool to edit the quick rename presets

I would like to introduce you to the FLS NamePresetEditor, a little windows (only) program to help you editing your quick rename presets.

Inspired by Trancit's video <https://youtu.be/Z5bir17ZJOk> from
Trancit wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:42 am
New video online: Quick rename like a Pro!
and this forum thread <viewtopic.php?t=141285> I thought it might be a good idea to develop a tool to make editing the quick rename presets a little easier. Actually I have never really been aware of the quick rename feature until I watched the video, so thanks a lot, Trancit, for showing it to the community!

Well, I know editing those presets is something that has to be done quite rarely, so the energy put into programming such a tool could easily be put into manually editing the preset files and you'd still be better off in the end.
Nevertheless, my first thougt when watching Trancit's video was "OK, I just make a little tool that helps me fiddling with the color values and the icon table, it can't be that complex." Well, I was wrong but still had a lot of fun anyway.

However, now I can completely understand, why the Image-Line devs haven't offered anything like this so far (or it is at the very, very end of their todo list). The effort of programming such a tool was indeed kind of disproportionate compared to the effort of manually editing the preset files. But with this tool, anyone can now edit their name presets quite easily, well at least I hope so :wink:

Just put the FLS NamePresetEditor.exe somewhere on your hard drive and launch it!

When started for the first time, FLS NamePresetEditor will ask you to go to the settings dialog, in which you have to enter the different folders the tool needs in order to work. The app can determine most of the folders itself if you don't have a totally unusal installation, but it will definitely need you to point it to the root folder of your FL Studio installation. Best choice here is the folder with the most recent release version like in my case "C:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 20\" Update 0.1.5: When started for the first time, FLS NamePresetEditor will most likely open the GUI directly, without asking for any folders. Seemingly Image Line has changed the folder structure with FLS 20. On my system there is an old FLS 12 which seems to have a different way of sharing font resources. So from 0.1.5 on FLS NamePresetEditor uses the most recent FLS installation just hoping for the best. In case it doesn't find everything it needs, just go to the settings and put the folders in manually.

Once the folders are set, you won't be asked to do this again until you changed something in your folder structure. But why should you?
The settings are stored in %APPDATA%\FLSNPE\FLSNPE.ini
settings_red.png

main window.png
In the main window there is a table on the left the single preset names go into. Just type in a name, and use the right mouse button to open menus for choosing colors and icons on the respective column.

In the color menu there are different palettes to choose from:
1. User palette: shows the most recently chosen colors, which are stored in the forementioned ini file, plus all colors found in all txt files inside the user presets folder
2. Original palette: shows all colors found in all txt files inside the original presets folder
3. Palette 1: shows some basic colors in different brightness graduations
4. Palette 2: shows the colors taken from
Audiobusters wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:08 am
As you have noticed in the video, my list of Presets (and the Presets itself) are different from the default/factory ones...
Thanks to Audiobusters for providing the files!

You can build preset lists from scratch or just modify those provided by Image-Line. On the right hand side you can choose the target type for the presets and either load from the folder for user presets or from the original location. You can save a file back as the same type it was when loaded or decide to use e.g. the same presets for playlist tracks and channels. Just save the file twice as different target type.

It is not possible to save to the original location, due to a few reasons:
1. you most likely need administrator rights to write any files there,
2. files might be overwritten with the next FL Studio update anyway and
3. it's just not necessary, FL Studio uses the user edited preset files when available.

By default the FLS NamePresetEditor creates backups of existing preset files. In case you mess something up, use the "Load file..." button, navigate to the backup folder, load the timestamped backup file and save it back to the user folder as the type you like. If you don't need the backup feature, go to "Settings" and uncheck it. It's kind of nerd stuff anyway.

Maybe you don't like to have icons associated with your presets, just check "Save with empty icons" then save the preset file back, the icons are gone.

If you'd like to have some visual structure in your quick presets menu, use the most left column "Cat.", which can be clicked to toggle the category state of the preset. (Which then isnt't a preset anymore but a category...) A category has no color and no icon associated and shows up kind of highlighted in the quick rename menu in FL Studio.
The quick rename menu is presented in columns of ten presets each, so you can leave some lines empty in your files to create some more visual structure if you like. The columns of the quick rename menu are represented in the editor by a change in the background color every ten lines.

To move presets to another position in the list use the mouse wheel + SHIFT key, like moving channels in the channel rack in FL Studio.

Well, in case you'd rather want to get rid of the program again, just delete the exe file then go to %APPDATA% and delete the FLSNPE folder.

Bug reports, questions and suggestions are welcome in this thread.

Have fun editing your quick rename presets!

Update v0.1.2
- Small language fixes

Update v0.1.3
- Fixed "Save as" filename
- Fixed "High Hat" glyph
- Displaying glyph code in status bar
- Saving to user folder is always possible, not only when file was modified

Update v0.1.4
- Handling of missing font file improved

Update v0.1.5
- High dpi aware (maybe some little weird things left on high dpi systems, please check...)
- No longer asking for folders when started the first time
- Small GUI fix

Update v0.1.6
- Color menu beautified
- Button "Load from user folder" enabled only when respective preset file present
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BlueBeat on Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.

cboshuizen
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:16 am

x

Re: FLS NamePresetEditor - a tool to edit the quick rename presets

Chrome/Windows Defender are pretty adamant that...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omnifold
Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:32 pm

x

BlueBeat wrote: ↑Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:52 pm There...

ASUNDER
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:32 pm

x

Wow I love you I'm gonna have some fun with t...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”