Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
jbarkerhill92
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:25 pm

x

Using Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones, 80 ohms, with a headphone amp

I got some Beyerdynamic DT770 closed back headphones, 80 ohms impedance.
I knew I'd need a headphone amp to get the most out of them, so got a Behringer HA400 compact headphone amp.

The headphone amp makes a massive difference. They basically sound like different headphones with and without. Without the amp, they sound kind of lifeless and flat, and the highs are too piercing.
Somehow the amp smooths out the highs, and also improves the soundstage and fills out all levels, low mid and high.

Also, the connector type into the headphone amp makes a big difference in usability. I've got a chain going from my audio interface into my computer.

The connection chain is:
- computer to audio interface with a usb out from computer and midi into interface
- audio interface to headphone amp, with RCA (the white and red cables) out from interface and 1/4 inch male into the input of headphone amp (need a y cable with RCA male on one side and 1/4 inch male on other side)
- headphone amp to headphones, with power cable powering amp, and 3.5 mm headphone cable into 1/4 inch jack of amp, using 3.5 mm to 1/4 inch adapter

I tried plugging the headphone amp input into the headphone jack of the audio interface, and it gave a loud buzzing / hissing sound when turned up amp which was unacceptable. I also tried using a cheap RCA y cable and it gave terrible sound quality. But today I picked up an audio-quality RCA cable, and now the headphones are singing. Glad I stuck with it as I was on the verge of returning them.

I'm curious why higher impedance headphones with an amp are better than lower impedance headphones. Because it's a pretty big pain to amp headphones, and high impedance headphones are unusable without an amp
Last edited by jbarkerhill92 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxKøngerskov
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:03 am

x

Re: Using Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones, 80 ohms, with a headphone amp

Hi, high impedance headphones (like my dt 1990 ...
Last edited by MaxKøngerskov on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”