Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Zander1
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:01 am

x

Techniques for Ensuring Guitar Recording Alignment

Hello,

Recently I've been doing a lot of research into understanding latency, latency compensation, playback tracking, etc. in an effort to further ensure that my audio recordings are as properly aligned as possible and accurate to the way I played them. I've done some projects recently where I'll be recording a lot of guitar takes and notice that with each one of them, I have to move it a bit to the right (it's too early). At first I thought maybe it was just my own player error of playing too early but it's so consistent I'm starting to think it's a technical misalignment.

My question is: Is there any way to objectively measure how aligned your electric guitar audio recordings are with the playlist? I use an interface by the way, I'm not using a microphone to record an amplifier. I know there's a technique where you can use a microphone to record the FL click and check alignment that way, and I did try that to find those recordings were just very slightly late. So it seems like even though I'm using the same interface and audio settings, the different inputs of a microphone w/ XLR cable vs. a guitar cable might result in different alignment? The real issue is I don't want to just try to play my guitar along to the FL click and see how that aligns with the playlist because then I have no way of knowing if it was my own player error that caused a slight misalignment or something else.

If anyone has some tips for me that'd be greatly appreciated. Hate the idea of getting a perfect guitar take just for it to be subtly shifted out of time by a technical misalignment that I might not notice soon enough.

Also as a quick side note, I tried messing with the playback tracking Offset option in audio settings. I set it to max 200% just to see an obvious example of what that would change, but there was no change in the microphone audio alignment tests. Should that have shifted the alignment one way or the other and thus that settings isn't working as it should be? Or am I misunderstanding the use for that setting and it's not suppose to effect recorded audio alignment?

jbarkerhill92
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:00 am

x

Re: Techniques for Ensuring Guitar Recording Alignment

That wouldn’t make sense to say that all softwa...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbarkerhill92
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:38 pm

x

Can’t you just do edit > undo recorded stuff...
Last edited by jbarkerhill92 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DjNotSo
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:21 pm

x

jbarkerhill92 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:44 am ...
Last edited by DjNotSo on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”