Can FL beatmatch audio clips? (setting up a live act)

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Aeros
Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:40 am

x

Can FL beatmatch audio clips? (setting up a live act)

Hi all, first to let you know my background I've used FL since version 4 and have a goa trance project called Aerosis - www.myspace.com/aerosis , I have some released tracks and am working on an album and absolutely love FL, its the most comfortable to work with software for me, I keep comming back to it every time I try something else.

My question reffers to being able to sync up the BPM to audio tracks imported into FL. The software is very flexible and I'm trying to setup a live act with it, which involves rendering out tracks and dragging and dropping them into the playlist, aranging from there and making it all seamless and what not. The issue is that FL won't beatmatch the audio tracks, needless to say its vital for the BPM of one track to be the same as the BPM of the other track. Another way of saying this is it'd be great if all the tracks were set to the BPM set in FL so that I can layer other elements / do live synth work over the rendered out samples.

I remember doing this right in some older version and whenver you would change the tempo or pitch of the project, FL would say that all the audio clips need to be restretched do you want to do this now - so it was setting the bpm of the audio clips to the BPM of the project. But now, the most I could manage is to set the BPM of the project to the bpm of the file, which does not help me at all.

I read this guide: #4 - http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/chans ... ampler.htm
"To manually lock a sample to the project tempo: If your samples are not being automatically stretched when you make a change to the project tempo, the procedure for syncing the sample to the project is as follows:

1. Insert your sample as an audio clip in the project.
2. Double-click the audio clip wave display in the Playlist to open the channel settings.
3. At the sample options tab, select your prefered time-stretching method from the Stretch Method menu (see below). Use anything but the default "Resample".
4. Note where the clip finishes in the Playlist and stretch the end of the clip by one snap unit. Wait for the stretch to complete.
5. Drag the end of the clip back to the original position and wait for the stretch to complete. The sample is now at it's original length and pitch.
6. The clip is now synced (or locked) to the project tempo. Further tempo changes will automatically stretch the clip so that it stays in time and with the original pitch. At any stage you can change the stretch method to one that sounds best and/or alter the pitch using the sample options tab.
"
Execpt...no it didn't sync anything at all, the imported audio tracks play at their original bpm and FL does nothing to set them to the BPM of the project file.

I'm effectively crippled here if i can't get the tracks to beatmatch, I thought this wasn't a difficult problem and programs like ableton do it automatically.
Can anyone help me?

Here is a picture in FL of what I'm talking about / trying to do - its really simple stuff. It doesn't even need to be that crazy, if only I could set the audio clips to the BPM set in FL it would all work. This is dance music here so there are no problems detecting a beat.

Really appreciate the help, otherwise I've hit a brick wall and will have to spend months getting headaches over Ableton to do this. simple process, not to mention devoid myself of doing anything live...

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5272/beatmatchinflva7.jpg

So if I were to slow down the bpm tempo in FL, it should slow down the tempo of the audio. If I were to layer some kicks or other elements over this audio, the beats should be in sync. Right now none of this happens.

Aeros
Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:59 am

x

Can the new version of edison perhaps do this? ...

Scott
Site Admin
Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:46 am

x

Aeros wrote:Can the new version of edison perha...
What's this knob do? The F1 key is your friend!

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”