Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Dizzy_3
Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:24 pm

x

Reason and FLS: Using 2 Midi Controllers

With Reason 3 rewired to FLS as the host I was able to use a Korg MicroKontrol to tweak Reason directly (not through FLS) while using a second midi controller (a Remote SL) to tweak and play VSTs in FLS. Here's how.

1. Power up the Remote SL (or other controller that you want to control FLS with).

2. Start FLS.

3. After FLS has loaded, power up the MicroKontrol.

4. Add a ReWire Channel. Select Reason as the client. Hit Show Panel.

5. When Reason loads, the MicroKontrol automatically links to it in a special mode called Korg "native mode". The MicroKontrol will not affect anything within FLS, it will only be communicating with Reason.

At this point, the first controller is fully functional within the FLS environment and you can tweak & play VSTs, control the mixer etc. with it just as you normally would while simultaneously playing/tweaking Reason with the MicroKontrol. And, if you add some Midi Outs or Dashboards in FLS and set the Port and Channel to control something in Reason, you can take it one step further and control two instruments in Reason simultaneously, one with each controller.

NOTE: This should work using any midi controller to control the FLS side. However, you may need to have a MicroKontrol to handle the Reason side of things smoothly. I have not been able to duplicate the same degree of success swapping the two controllers and using the Remote SL as the Reason controller (Note: When using Reason as the primary app - not rewired to a DAW - the Remote SL controls Reason really well). I am working on getting it to work, as most will not have a MicroKontrol. The MicroKontrol will work in FLS (powering it up before starting FLS), but the implementation for the other midi controller is much "clunkier" on the Reason side when using it as a Rewire slave. You have to setup your Reason controller in the Preferences:Advanced Midi page of Reason and then use Midi In Devices (see top of the Reason rack) to link the Reason controller to the device in Reason that you want to control. I haven't fully explored this side of things (mainly because controlling Reason with the MicroKontrol is so damn easy), but intend to do some work on it. Other more experienced Reason users may have a few suggestions, tips on that front.

Aside: For anyone who has used a MicroKontrol with Reason, you will know the benefit of using a MicroKontrol to control Reason. The MicroKontrol's shortcomings aside (springy, tiny keys), Korg "native mode" really is a very painless and seamless integration between music software and a midi controller. But I have no idea whether any other music apps support it.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”