Disable MIDI velocity mapping for subclip selection in Performance Mode?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
dtr_k
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:16 am

x

Disable MIDI velocity mapping for subclip selection in Performance Mode?

Hello,

I'm transitioning from one MIDI controller (non-velocity-sensitive) to another (velocity-sensitive) for my live performances to save precious space in my setup, and a particular, seemingly non-changeable facet of how Performance Mode accounts for pad velocity has thrown a wrench in my workflow.

From the relevant page in the manual:
Sub-Clips will cycle in a round-robin, each time the Scene is re-triggered the next Clip in the group plays, then back to the beginning again.
NOTE: Sub Clips - are any grouped Clip/s, following the first Clip on a track, that follow in the same Scene/Group. Sub Clips can be triggered by repeated presses OR by velocity if the controller supports it (velocity triggering auto-mapped by the number of Sub Clips into the MIDI velocity range).
Previously I used a non-velocity-sensitive MIDI controller and was content with round-robin subclip selection, as it has become second-nature over years of practice and performance. The controller I am using now (Novation Launchkey 25 MK1) does, however, support velocity in this manner, and as such it defaults to velocity when selecting subclips.

The problem arises in that I tend to run many subclips per region/controller pad, which creates an impractical velocity map for said pads -- with a great number of subdivisions in the velocity range, the precision needed to accurately launch the subclips I intend to is unattainable in practice and certainly not reliable enough for live performance. I would much rather cycle through the subclips round-robin style, even though my controller supports the velocity method. However, I've been unable to find any option to revert to round-robin.

Could I just map fewer subclips per region? Well, sure, but I would rather not upend the workflow and practice memory I've honed for years in my live projects over something that feels like it should be a toggleable option (hopefully it is and I just can't find it for the life of me!). Nor would I care to revert to my other MIDI controller, which is a pain to transport and the main reason I've switched in the first place.

For what it's worth, in the MIDI Settings menu I have already set "Link note on velocity" and (for good measure) "Link release velocity" to "(none)" for the controller in question. This indeed bypasses note-on velocity for instruments and sampler channels and the like, but sadly does not stop Performance Mode from interpreting pad velocity.

I have searched the manual, the forums, and the Web at large and can't seem to pinpoint any possible solutions. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”