Best way to import MIDI without losing data?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
-J64-
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 pm

x

Best way to import MIDI without losing data?

FL Studio's MIDI import is gimped as hell, and has been for as long as I can remember. It seems that anything not configured in MIDI Out's Basic preset doesn't get imported (and even that's not entirely true, since there are fields for bank selection pre-configured into MIDI Out's interface and those don't get imported either), and FL Studio doesn't give any indication that it discarded anything when it happens. This is particularly annoying with new plugins and sample libraries that come with demo songs in MIDI format, since they'll often use uncommon CC data to control various parameters, and FL Studio just discards that data which defeats the whole purpose of having them.

I don't know if there's a better way, but all I've been able to figure out is to open the MIDI file in FL Studio and another sequencer, use the event viewer in the sequencer to figure out which CCs are being used on which channels, configure any CCs that had been discarded into the corresponding MIDI Out channels, then use the event editor to import them all one at a time.

Am I missing something? Is this really the best way to import a MIDI file and restore the missing information that was discarded during the initial import? Use a whole separate application to find what's missing?

I attached a MIDI file that I created using FL Studio, inspired by some of those demo songs I had issue with. I find it bizarre that it can't be simply imported back into the program that created it. The extra parameters I configured (CC11, CC88 and RPN0) get discarded when it's imported, as does the bank select. Bonus points to that RPN. Manually importing those takes four times as long since the import process only recognizes CCs, and it takes four CCs to control RPNs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”