Set up for optimal use (back and forth with another computer)

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
FrankGrimes
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:20 am

x

Set up for optimal use (back and forth with another computer)

Thanks for reading, guys!

So as a long-time user in need of a fresh clean up, I am installing FL 20 and have gone back and forth meticulously reading and trying to get all of the file locations in the correct place on install for what I want to do.

The Goal: To seamlessly work back and forth between a main studio tower and my laptop on the go. (and to possibly keep any future updates are clean as possible)

What I have and what I plan to do: My desktop is my main station, but I also have a 1Tb external SSD where I hope to keep my drum kits, Sound Libraries (when possible) and some other presets maybe. I also have like a 256GB Thumb drive which I plan on using for project files, zipped loop packages, and all that jazz, just for easy transport (I may use some cloud services as well, but I'm open to suggestions). Also have a capable laptop that I'd like to use more often so as not to be glued to my main station (in a basement)

The Dilemma: Basically, I just want to make sure I set everything up correctly. I will have some big sound libraries and samples in stuff like omnisphere, serum, massive, etc. and I have been told to simply install these Vst's on both computers, keeping the content libraries and presets on the external SSD. I can then point the Vst's to those SSD directories for each and should be golden there.

From what I understand, my project files been zipped out to a cloud service or a thumb drive should also work fine for going back-and-forth between machines. So far, so good (unless anyone suggests otherwise).

My question is, for things like VST effects or even fruity-native stuff like harmless or sytrus, is it even possible for me to redirect those sample libraries to an external drive? does it even make sense to? Where should I set my VST folders to upon first install of FL20? Is there anything major I'm forgetting or missing?

Whoever can answer this, you are a god! I know this is a hell of a first post, so thanks so much in advance!

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”