Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
GdabZ
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:10 pm

0 x

Best way to record midi from/to multiple channels with external synths

Hello guys,

I'm currently trying to build a template to connect multiple external synths. I've got a MIDI Keyboard controller (Novation 61SL MKIII - port 1) and several synths/expanders on various midi ports.

I've tried two different ways so far :
One with Patcher
I route MIDI port 1 to several MIDI ports. Each synth listens on a different midi channel so they could as well be on the same MIDI port but I use different ports because I send MIDI sync to some of them only. My MIDI controller is locked to Patcher (via "Receive notes from" / "all channels").
Pros: It's full MIDI Thru so if I send a CC from the Novation 61SL on channel 8, it's correctly sent to the corresponding synth.
Cons: Everything is recorded in the same Piano Roll (with different colors, but it's a bit messy).

One with several MIDI OUT channels
I then route for example notes destined to CH16 to a MIDI OUT that plays on CH16 and lock it (via "Receive notes from" / "Channel 16"), same for 15, 14, 13, etc. Each channel gets its own MIDI track and lock.
Pros: Each note I play gets recorded in the proper piano roll (i.e. MIDI OUT CH16) so it's less messy.
Cons: It's not MIDI Thru at all so I have to remap everything from every synth inside the MIDI OUT device (starting from the pitch wheel and modulation wheel). If I send a CC from the 61SL, it is intercepted by the MIDI OUT and not transmitted unless I map it.

How do you guys do it? See attached my two examples, it should be a bit clearer than my explanations alone.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GdabZ on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”