At long last and without further ado, after some deliberation around the rules (and some sickness on my part being responsible for this being posted late - oops! ) here is the Looptalk Monthly Contest for October!
I'm a huge fan of repetition as a compositional tool - and as many of us are electronic music producers working with loops aplenty, I'm sure we all are! Normally in music loops will drop in and out, melodies will change and give way to new melodies, et cetera to provide variation and hold the listener's attention. However! This need not always be the case!
With that said, this month's competition is about repetition. The track/song/piece that you create for submission must feature a non-percussive motif that repeats the entire way through the track without ever stopping. The methods that you use to keep things interesting - such as changing harmony around the motif, or changing the instruments playing the motif - are up to you. Anything goes as long as the motif is playing throughout the entire piece and is always recognisable as the motif.
A summary of the rules can be found below - good luck and happy music making!
Deadline November 1st
1. Songs must be at least 3 minutes long, but no longer than 9 minutes.
2. The song must contain a motif or musical phrase that repeats the whole way through the entire track from start to finish.
3. The motif must be melodic (not percussive) and must be present throughout the entire track with no breaks.
4. Effects and automation etc. may of course be applied to the motif for interest - but the motif must always remain recognisable.
5. The motif can be either your own creation or a sample.
6. Remixes and reimaginings are permitted but do try to be creative with them, and remember it must follow all of the other rules!
7. All plugins (native or third party) are permitted.
8. Each individual person can submit up to two entries.
9. Each person gets two votes as to which tracks they think should win.
10. Ties will be randomly chosen using a tie-breaking bot.