rms window of 0 does not = peak mode?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
nu.id
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 pm

x

rms window of 0 does not = peak mode?

Would there be any effective difference of an rms window of 0 and a peak algorithm for compression? my assumption is that they would be the same since RMS would be averaging gain over 0ms, basically reacting immediately as a peak algorithm would

however testing this in maximus shows this isn't the case. With the same settings, switching from peak mode to rms mode shows differences in how they reduce gain. It seems that RMS with a 0ms hold time still applies less gain reduction to certain peaks than peak mode. Does anybody know the main reason for this difference?

With fruity limiters compressor you can only control the RMS window time with "sustain", there doesn't seem to be a peak mode. based on my maximus experiment, my assumption was that even with sustain turned down to 0 it's acting on peaks but still different than an actual peak algorithm. However, testing this, 0% sustain in fruity limiters compressor seems to reduce peaks in the same way as peak mode in maximus.

to sum up:
in maximus - rms of 0 is not the same as peak mode
in fruity limiter's compressor - sustain (rms) of 0 seems to be the same as a peak mode

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”