progress over the years with digital audio workstations.

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
TranceCrafter
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 pm

x

progress over the years with digital audio workstations.

I learned to use fl studio without knowing anything about music.

then, 6 years later, this is an example of something I made in fl studio.
When the Fates Come Crashing Down.mp3
around that time, I briefly switched from fl studio to cubase and experimented with other ways of producing content because, frankly, I needed more channels.

I took some college classes which gave me an introduction to music theory. But what I learned really confused me because I had already learned (basically taught myself) a way to compose music.

around 2014, I was basically told to go work at a movie theatre as an usher. (while all my efforts up until that point were to work in media, you can imagine what a slap in the face that was...)

and while at this movie theatre, I spent a lot of time analyzing the scores for the end credits on a lot of these films.

I started doing ear training every single day. for as many hours as I could fit into it. it was agony, really. listening to two dissonant sounds and having to know all of my intervals, then guessing the interval I was hearing. But after doing that for a long time (we're talking years of ear training, and quitting that job.) I found that my accuracy got a lot better.

at some point I picked up playing piano, particularly piano improv (which allowed me to play a song WHILE composing it)

and in recent years I've been spending a lot of time recording vocals.

this was recorded last night, in one single take. no processing on these except a slight compressor.
one night (acapella).mp3
so I did a test this morning on my pitch accuracy and if you wouldn't call this "absolute pitch" you would consider it "damn close."
pitch accuracy.png
so at this point I'm thinking of returning to my roots (on fl or another daw while fl "catches up" sorry lol that probably sounds harsh but yeah)

and what I have found so far is that my ability to produce with more accurracy, faster, with a more in-depth understanding of what is happening in the project file is improved a lot.

so I'm just making this thread because it's been many years of work. and I think many of the people just starting should not push themselves too hard because if you work enough years you will get there too.

my first track:
02 The Light Within The Dark.mp3
one of the latest things I created:
(2015) FULL FLIGHT_47.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”