speeding up automation workflow

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
b086
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:58 pm

x

speeding up automation workflow

I like to keep my projects organized as I make them. I find that keeping automation clips organized requires a lot of clicking and is kinda slow. Here's what it looks like for me:

-- Insert a new track in the playlist under the audio/pattern clip that carries the parameter I'm going to automate (because otherwise the clip goes to the bottom of the project, or somewhere else you don't want it to, and it's likely to get lost b/c, AND because I usually want to be able to adjust the automation curve while looking at the audio/pattern clip, for timing purposes, which is much easier when they are next to each other)
-- Select the time range affected by the automation (to avoid making clips that are the length of the project; I guess this step is skippable)
-- Navigate to the parameter I want to automate, right-click to create automation clip
-- Back to the playlist to (optionally) name and color the automation clip, and then auto-name the track and group it to the one above. (I always do this, both because it makes it easier to find things and making a nice looking project just feels good and makes me want to keep working. Also, if you don't name/color it and you use another instance of the plugin in the project, for example, it's more likely that you'll lose track of the clip or confuse it with something else)
-- Actually adjust the automation curve

I get that this isn't really that hard, but it starts to *feel* hard when you want to automate a lot of different parameters. I find myself thinking, "Ooh, I should automate that, get it it moving more!" and then I think about what that entails and I think, "Nah...I'll just do it 'later.'"

I think that the feature that was recently teased about being able to click on an automation clip to see what it is linked to will help a little bit, because you could maybe let them pile up at the bottom of the project, but I still find myself wanting to be able to draw curves while having the audio/pattern clip nearby for visual reference.

Does anyone have any tips? Is there some killer shortcut I'm missing (aside from just not caring around being organized)?

levendis
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 pm

x

Re: speeding up automation workflow

If you instantiate plugins, or audio samples, s...

b086
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:41 pm

x

thank you, levendis! i've never thought to try ...

levendis
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 pm

x

My pleasure, b086. b086 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 16, 202...
Last edited by levendis on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReedIndeed
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:19 pm

x

b086 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:58 pm I get t...

Trancit
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:37 pm

x

levendis wrote: ↑Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 pm The ...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”