Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
NextDAW
Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 pm

x

Which is the Best Control for Muting?

Which of the following methods for muting a single Generator channel routed to a single Mixer track is preferable?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages when automating via one of these particular methods over another?

Are there any technical differences between them? (i.e. audio performance / response speed / smoothing, etc.)

#1. Mixer Insert - Volume
#2. Channel volume
#3. Fruity Balance - Volume
#4. Fruity send - Dry level
#5. Fruity Mute 2 - Mute
#6. Channel - Volume multiplier
#7. Fruity Stereo Enhancer - Volume

Also, are there any methods that are available, that I may have missed?

Best Control for Muting.png

Note: I understand that there may be specific circumstances where one method may be preferable to another, however...

I'm more interested in a general use case scenario of automating a single generator channel, routed to a single mixer track, which method do you prefer to 'completely mute' (i.e. from normal volume immediately to zero) and why?

I would particularly like any technical feedback from staff members or knowledgeable users who may have insight into specific advantages for one method over another.

One observation I have made (whether it is accurate or not) is that when using the '#5 Fruity Mute 2 - Mute' method, the audio can sometimes produce an audible 'click' when the automation is triggered. I wondered if this is due to no 'declicking' occurring with this method, or if either this, or any of the other methods even apply a zero-point crossing feature, or volume smoothing algorithm on the output audio?

Does this mean that 'Fruity Mute 2' may be the fastest method for going instantly from a normal volume level to zero?

Overall, I'm attempting to figure out which method I should probably be using when I want to quickly mute processed audio.

Any useful feedback or advice would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ReedIndeed
Sun May 09, 2021 8:22 pm

x

Re: Which is the Best Control for Muting?

It kind of just depends, but a gain plugin is u...

NextDAW
Sun May 09, 2021 9:09 pm

x

ReedIndeed wrote: ↑Sun May 09, 2021 8:22 pm The...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

himhim2340
Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 am

x

I wouldn't recommend automating the Mixer volum...

ReedIndeed
Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 am

x

Just use fruity balance, it has the least smoot...

Fornicras
Mon May 10, 2021 7:00 am

x

I don't automate mixer or channel volume as I u...

NextDAW
Mon May 10, 2021 8:05 am

x

@himhim2340 Thanks for doing that and the advic...

NextDAW
Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:37 pm

x

himhim2340 wrote: ↑Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 am I ...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”