Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
plnelson
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:03 am

x

More MIDI Time Signature problems

Last week we discussed a problem with trying to do a MIDI export of a project with a Time Signature change. It was either crashing or producing an empty file and I fixed it by updating to 20.8.3 build 2304, from my prior 20.8, Build 2115.

But we're not out of the woods. I created a simple test case with one channel in 5/4 time, changing to 4/4 time after 2 measures. Here's what the original looks like:
PianoOnly_Orig.jpg
. . .
I did two kinds of MIDI exports, one from the Piano Roll File menu, and one from the the main FL Studio File Menu with the Prepare For MIDI Export macro and all that rigamorole. I then imported the resulting MIDI files back into FLS from the Piano Roll File Import, getting two different (but both wrong) results.

Here is the result after importing the MIDI file made from the FLS File menu and the Prepare For MIDI Export macro back into the Piano Roll
AfterImportFileFromFile.jpg

. . . and here's the result after importing the MIDI file made from the Piano Roll's own MIDI export
AfterImportFileFromPR.jpg

Notice that the first one had the entire thing in 5/4 time and even put a 5/4 time marker at the beginning. The second one ignored the 5/4 time of the original and had the entire thing in 4/4 time. Neither one recognised the time-signature change!

So what is going on here? I've spent hours trying to get MIDI export to work during the last week and taken up a lot of other people's time on the forum and there's still no clear resolution. I've attached the original test-case project file.

EDIT - I looked at the two MIDI files in Sekaiju. The MIDI file that was exported from the Piano Roll does appear to have the Time Signature change (see the image below). So why isn't FL Studio seeing it?
SeikaiJu_PR.jpg

When I tried to open the MIDI file created from the File menu and Prepare For MIDI Export macro Sekaiju issued a warning about the file being "abnormal" and finding a time-signature change in the "second track" (I don't know what that means because there's only one channel, and it's hard to interpret Sekaiju messages because they appear translated from another language) but it let me open it to look at and there is no 4/4 time-signature event visible, (contrary to the above image made from the Piano Roll's MIDI export) but there's a 5/4 one at the very beginning. It did not issue any warnings on the file exported from the Piano Roll.

Finally, here's the output rendered as sheet music in MuseScore, confirming that the 4/4 Time Signature IS in the MIDI file exported from the Piano Roll, (even though it doesn't appear in the FLS Piano Roll import), and also confirming that it's absent from the MIDI file exported from the File Menu.
MidiExportBugToMuseScore1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NTO
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:30 pm

x

Re: More MIDI Time Signature problems

I had only a brief time to check this. Never f...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NTO
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:35 pm

x

Back later for extended look First - Mistake i...
Last edited by NTO on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

plnelson
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 pm

x

NTO wrote: ↑Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:30 pm I had only...
Last edited by plnelson on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTO
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:50 pm

x

Here's what I did for 9Jun_TempoThreadTests_0.m...

NTO
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:04 pm

x

plnelson wrote: ↑Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 pm [snip...

plnelson
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:44 pm

x

NTO wrote: ↑Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:50 pm Here's wha...

NTO
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:15 pm

x

plnelson wrote: ↑Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:44 pm [sni...

NTO
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 pm

x

plnelson wrote: ↑Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:44 pm [sni...

Milinor
Technical Support
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 am

x

Here is your other related topic on looptalk: v...

plnelson
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm

x

NTO wrote: ↑Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:15 pm You must ...

NTO
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:55 pm

x

To use the help file: Target Channel - Select a...

plnelson
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:57 pm

x

NTO wrote: ↑Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:55 pm To use the...

Nogyoff
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 pm

x

plnelson wrote: ↑Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:57 pm NTO w...

plnelson
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:57 am

x

Nogyoff wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 pm Otherw...

Nogyoff
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:27 am

x

plnelson wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:57 am Nogyo...

NTO
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:23 pm

x

FWIW This used to be simple in MuseScore < v...

plnelson
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 pm

x

Nogyoff wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:27 am - on ...

Nogyoff
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 pm

x

plnelson wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 pm Nogyo...

Stargaterunner
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:29 pm

x

I wanted to stay out of the topic completely......

NTO
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:40 pm

x

Haha - looks familiar - Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:04 p...

Nogyoff
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:50 pm

x

Stargaterunner wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:29 p...

plnelson
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 am

x

Stargaterunner wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:29 p...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”