Is there any way to make working with SoundFonts in modern FL bearable?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
ILBEATS
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:31 pm

x

Is there any way to make working with SoundFonts in modern FL bearable?

Back in the old days, I could access all of my soundfonts from FL's internal file browser. Drag and drop into my pattern workspace, it'd open in Fruity Soundfont Player, simple as that.

Nowadays, dragging and dropping an .sf2 in FL will by default open DirectWave, which I've never been able to get to work and from my understanding has very limited functionality. I have to use sforzando, which means that the workflow of picking out soundfonts is - import sforzando into a new channel. Open the plugin. Use the plugin browse import feature to open up a windows explorer "open file" window. I then need to click out of the FL directory to my own file directories, navigate down the tree until I get to my assets folder. I then have to open up the subfolder I want, and select a soundfont. Sforzando then takes a few seconds to convert the .sf2 into a .sfz, and I can finally play my soundfont - although I will have to manually edit the channel name. Don't like how it sounds? Guess what, I have to open sforzando and import another soundfont all over again! If I have already imported a soundfont it's a little easier as I get to use the "converted" menu in sforzando, but it's still a nightmare to open all the subfolders every time. Makes searching for soundfonts for my projects take easily four times as long. I'm clearly not the only person with this problem, but nobody has ever presented a good solution when I've searched for one. ImageLine, why can't we just select the default plugin to open soundfonts with so I can make it sforzando directly? This is such a UI nightmare, if there is any way around it that you guys are using please let me know.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”