Wouldn't busing all the instruments to the same mixer channel muddy the song?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
fruityboy
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:44 am

x

Wouldn't busing all the instruments to the same mixer channel muddy the song?

Ok, so I am reading various online articles teaching how to mix and here is just one of countless I will share here:

https://www.landr.com/how-to-mix

"Cut the fuss. Use a bus.Picture a yellow school bus. Now picture it with a bunch of sounds riding it.

This is what a bus is in a mix. By sending multiple sounds to one track (the bus) you can apply the same processors to them all at once. It’s very handy. Try it out on a drum bus. This allows you to process all your drum sounds as one unit. Treat them with the same reverb to give the perception that they’re all in the same space. Or Set up a delay or compression bus."

I know this is probably mixing 101, but what I don't understand is if I say route a keys, arp, pad and lead into the same mixer channel and label it "instruments" then all the same EQ, compression, reverb, etc. effects tied to that channel will be used on all the different instruments grouped within this channel.

I guess that is a really fast and convenient set up if you want all the same exact effects to be on all the instruments, but wouldn't this muddy up the song?

Because if the keys, arp, pads, leads, etc all have the exact same EQ...wouldn't they all be sharing the same "space" within the song?

I am still reading and trying to learn more, but I can't really wrap my dumb brain around some of this stuff.

P.S. I know that all the individual instrument channels that each instrument is being routed from can have their own unique EQ, compression, reverb, etc. but what types of effects and what order should the instrument channel where they are all grouped be for that synthwave sound?

fruityboy
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:02 pm

x

Re: Wouldn't busing all the instruments to the same mixer channel muddy the song?

Aleix Fontanet wrote: ↑Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:57 a...
Last edited by fruityboy on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”