Upgrading PC: how to transfer settings, preferences, everything?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Adazel
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:38 am

x

Upgrading PC: how to transfer settings, preferences, everything?

I'm finally upgrading from my laptop to a brand new custom desktop, and I'm very excited to start producing on it! I used this laptop to make a lot of music for 2 years, and while I didn't start out with a specialized setup on FL, I've really customized it over time to fit my needs.

I have an idea of how I'll be transferring most of my files, which are in folders (samples, drum packs, plugins, draft mixes, final exports, etc, all in their own folder). I've also learned to save my projects as zip files instead of flp, as I lost my first several projects when I upgraded to this laptop. These I can simply drag and drop into the external hard drive I'm using for the upgrade.

I don't know how to transfer the settings of FL itself though. I'm talking about layouts, preferences, settings (general and panel), all that stuff that is locally saved, but as part of the DAW itself instead of an external source. Is there some sort of file I can find in the program folder that I'd be able to transfer? Am I going to just have to spend several hours checking every single file path, every dropdown menu for every panel, and manually remake all of the settings? Please help!

And if you have any better ideas for file and application transfer that'll make my life easier (cloud, special software, etc) lmk!

oh, and my specs, for those wondering:

laptop: intel i7-7700HQ (4-core, 2.8GHz), GTX 1050 Mobile, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD (unsure of type) + 1TB HDD (all my files are saved on the HDD)

pc: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6-core, 3.6GHz base, 4.2GHz OC), RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + may add more storage

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”