Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
DjNotSo
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:12 am

x

In-place editing with NewTone, NewTime and Edison slave playback

This is not really a question but since I've actually learned something I hope it's ok to add it to the "knowledgebase" (I know I will forget it in a few weeks otherwise and maybe it'll help someone else :)).

I've struggled a bit with understanding, and finding information on, how to slave these tools to the host properly when I want to manipulate audio clips in-place (correct place in the playlist) with playback monitoring and perfect sync so I've kind of left it and lived in ignorance until now. I can mention that I have these tools permanently on the "Current" insert (which adds some additional complexity).

This is the process I came up with anyways:

1. Mute the audio clip you want to manipulate
2. Select the clip in the playlist
2. Select "Select->Select time around selection" (Ctrl+Enter) from the playlist menu to select a region that fits the audio clip perfectly
3. Select "Edit sample", "Pitch-correct sample" or "Time-warp sample" from the clip menu (or use hot-keys)
4. In the tool, activate "Slave playback to host".
- In NewTime/NewTone you must also select "Ignore host selection" (right-click slave icon) and possibly tempo "Sync" (if there's tempo information in the sample)
5. IF USING THE TOOLS ON THE "CURRENT" INSERT: Make sure the correct mixer insert is selected to get proper delay compensation
6. PRESS PLAY AND MANIPULATE AWAY
7. Save with whatever option you want but some handy options:
- Send to playlist, will place a new clip in the playlist, correctly, in time
- Edison: Right-click on "Send to playlist" to replace the audio clip with the modified sample
- NewTone/NewTime, drag selection to existing clip to replace with the modified sample

Are there better ways to do this?

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”