'Symbolic Links' - Any Downsides to Using Them?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
NextDAW
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:15 pm

x

'Symbolic Links' - Any Downsides to Using Them?

Hi! Maybe, I'm a bit slow on this one so please forgive my ignorance on this matter. But I just set up my very first dynamic link, which I implemented in order to share a particular folder containing some presets, which were compatible for more than one synth plugin, which saved me from having to duplicate them from their original location over to other locations for the other plugins. Note: both folder locations in question were located on the same device.

Anyway, so far, so good. Both synths seemingly can detect, load and use those presets just fine without any noticeable access issues or lag times. But this got me thinking, there's probably lots of scenarios, where using such symbolic links instead of duplicating copies of files to different locations could be used.

So I was wondering if anyone more experienced (who has been using symbolic links for some time) has run into any possible issues or situations that might occur when using them, especially within the context of a music production environment / workflow?

For example, I have for a long time now, already moved my default 'Image-Line' User data folder over to a custom location, with no drawbacks regarding DAW usuage, having pointed FL Studio to the new location via its internal settings: Options > File settings > User data folder.

But now I'm wondering if that step was even necessary, if I had instead created a new symbolic link for the moved 'Image-Line' folder under the default '../Documents/' location?

Is this possible and are there any negative aspects at all anyone has run in to (production-wise) when using symbolic links in such a fashion?

One obvious beneficial use I can immediately think of, is to create a dynamic link within all of my wavetable-compatible synths' relevant configuration directories, pointing towards a master Wavetable folder, as well as other similar 'Master folders' for other commonly-used audio files, something like:

D:\Wavetables
D:\Samples
D:\Impulse Responses
D:\MIDI

...etc.

So that those same locations can then be used by multiple different plugins and software applications?

Any thoughts, or suggestions would be welcome :)

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”