Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Bruellbart
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:05 am

x

Question-answer melody: when they both "sing" together it gets too loud

Greetings fellow musicians,

Currently I'm working on an Oldschool Trance track. I've got a nice lead with some kind of question-answer thingy going on: the first part asks the question and the second parts answers it (same sound/voice). After some back and forth they both "sing" together (in octaves) and that's where my problem appears: it's way too loud when they do this in comparison to the part before. Also they sometimes slightly alternate their timing rhythmically and that's when these particular sections become too quiet again.

My first idea was to handle this problem via Fruity Limiters built-in compressor to duck the loudest amplitudes and increase the volume of the quiter ones, but for the sake of god I couldn't get the settings right. I'm still very inexperienced with compressors and yes, a bit anxious, too, of using them because you can do so much wrong. I don't want the overall sound to be altered and I don't want to overcompress/overdo it or get trapped in the "louder sounds better" perception thing.

Does anybody with some experience has got some tips for me on how to get the settings right for a way more equal volume? Maybe my idea of using a compressor for my task is actually the wrong way and someone could rather offer me a better option to achieve what I want? I hope I expressed my task in an understandable manner...

Thanks in advance
Bruellbart

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”