x

Re: Looptalk User Contest | June 2022 | Effector Is A Factor

Audiobusters wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:21 pm
miles_t3hr4t wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:46 pm
Audiobusters wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:22 pm
DrumSynth Live uses samples in the Waveform select at the top left. Those are not not to be used.
you're telling me that you want us to make acid, but we're specifically not allowed to use an 808, 909, or linn drum? that's like saying "hey, make a metal track, you're allowed to use pluck, boo bass, some coconuts."
No, we never said you have to make an Acid Track (as in the genre).
Just use at least one Acid sound in your Track. The genre doesn't matter.
It can be Hardcore, Drum & Bass, Techno, Ambient, ...you name it.
miles_t3hr4t wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:46 pm
BinaryBorn wrote: If you have access to Ogun, use Ogun. It has some decent crash cymbal presets IMHO.
Ogun is Additive synthesis, and presets are derived from samples, Exactly like Harmor, (and Morphine).
If harmor resynthesis is disallowed, then Ogun resynthesis is disallowed, which means virtually all ogun presets should be disallowed.
I had already asked Sirous his opinion on some related things (just before this came up) but haven't received any answer yet.

I'm not really familiar with Ogun, but to me it looks nothing like Harmor at all.
Harmor can play Samples exactly as they are. Don't think that's the case with Ogun but I could be wrong...
Ogun does not do direct sample playback, instead it creates a harmonic profile form a sample, and then uses that profile like a filter shape on white noise to replicate the timbre of the sample (though it is actually partials and not filtering, and the inharmonic content and phase is procedural and not random, based on seed values), the shorter the sample, the better it works. which means it's very good at creating mostly perfect impact sounds, and pads. As for accuracy, harmor has 516 partials, whereas ogun has up to 32,767 partials.

Basically, an extremely high resolution EQ curve, with a separate similarly detailed decay time per partial, which is not good for playback of complex sounds like a voice, but is exactly perfect for recreating a crash cymbal with near perfect fidelity. Just load ogun, select the "default tonal" preset, adjust the pitch from +12 to +0, set the timbre richness all the way up, then drag and drop a cymbal or ride sample onto the word Timbre (which is next to the bell icon). and boom, you've got a near perfect replica of that cymbal, just adjust the decay/release time, because that's all a cymbal is.

it can also be used to replicate pads (usually)

Ogun can do these sounds with higher sound quality than harmor, but it is limited to these types of sounds due to the nature of how it works (does not morph between successive partial snapshots)

Then there's morphine that lets you do resynthesis for sample recreation the way harmor does, by morphing between partial snapshots, but those partials are stored the way that ogun does, as what is basically an EQ Curve. it's just... not as good at it. it's like a prototype of harmor.

I just assumed that if we're not allowed samples, or resynthesis, then we aren't allowed ANY sample based envelopes either, which means ogun, morphine, and the wave shape resynthesis in sytrus, are all out, as would using the "analyze audio file" option on automation clips or in-instrument envelopes such as volume, because fundamentally, that lets you build a single-use vocoder out of analyzed band-split sample layers to control volume of band splits on a modulator across channel routings (which I actually did in an earlier contest, though inside patcher instead of channel routings).

I also assumed that, since these are all fundamentally related in how they work, that this is an all-or-nothing thing. if the method of resynthesis in ogun is permitted, then so is automation clip level following (which is far simpler and lower resolution), which opens the door to vocoding with non-included samples as an exploit of the rules, or none of it is allowed. That's just my assumption.

if anything, these contests over the years have taught me weird and overly complicated ways to do things to bypass technical restrictions, and how to find work-arounds.

--EDIT
I'd actually like to hope you allow ogun, because uhhhh after a bit of testing... it doesn't pefectly re-create cymbals, because it doesn't include the impact on the cymbal, it just re-creates the ringing of the cymbal really well, and even though it does let you generate based on samples, it lets you create some really lush pads even on accident, and I kind of really wanna an excuse to use that more. i've got about 1:30 of a track wip and fiddling with ogun is just giving me ideas, so I'm gonna wait on a specific ruling for this.

BinaryBorn
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:53 pm

x

double post! BinaryBorn - Porsche.mp3 BinaryB...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

p.s.otherworld
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:12 pm

x

Okay, here some Acid for you with kind regards ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bruellbart
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 am

x

Being a bedroom producer with no actual monitor...

J-&dre
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:49 pm

x

Here is my entry, but beware it can be a bit he...

J-&dre
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:56 am

x

Audiobusters wrote: ↑Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:13 pm G...

donkeytugger
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:57 pm

x

I think I've gone me own sweet way again.... ...

miles_t3hr4t
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:24 pm

x

I was tempted to call this track ⍼, just to be ...

Sirous
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:21 am

x

When I had some minutes I did work on a project...

The Slayer King
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:58 am

x

UPDATED Re: Audiobusters...FPC Removed Re: Mil...
Last edited by The Slayer King on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audiobusters
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:12 pm

x

The Slayer King wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:58 a...
Last edited by Audiobusters on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miles_t3hr4t
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:52 pm

x

The Slayer King wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:58 a...
Last edited by miles_t3hr4t on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”