I feel like I’m doing FL speech timing & stuff wrong.

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Dreemurr47
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:56 pm

x

I feel like I’m doing FL speech timing & stuff wrong.

Recently I completed an avant-pop album, and doing anything but Vocoding with speech was like pulling teeth. Every single syllable or word that’s the wrong length or pitch, I had to make that individual one unique and set that individual one to the mixer channel that the others are on.

I tried using Newtone, but that only seems to work for one sample at a time, so kinda helpful I guess, but never ended up using it except for a couple B-sides because it was an absolute pain to get to work.

I got suggestions to use stretch mode and fruity slicer, but stretch mode doesn’t seem to actually make the samples last any longer in fruity slicer: fairly certain it’s supposed to, but maybe I’m missing something here.

I tried using Newtime as well, but no matter what I tried, I couldn’t get the sample waveform itself to appear within Newtime, and it would completely refuse to sync with the actual play head or sample, so that was a bust yet again.

The only thing that kinda did what I wanted was Edison, where I could actually stretch the samples to a length that fit the beat or create held notes without creating hundreds upon hundreds of unique samples. Only thing is that I couldn’t get the pitch correct to work, but I had pitcher, so it was possible to manually adjust and make it work.

Genuinely, I use FL Speech to create synth vocals and (for the most part) love it, but goddamn, the two areas it sucks shit in: letter emphasis / proper syllabic spacing without complex workarounds/unorthodox typing, and a lack of ease of use when it comes to trying to adjust individual words on their own without creating hundreds of unique samples. It sucks HARD. I still prefer it over Alter/Ego or other free alternatives though, not that alter/ego is bad - quite the opposite - alter/ego just has huge problems with getting legible sound that isn’t monotone.

Anyone have a relatively easy workaround for this? I feel like I’m missing something here, I just don’t know what it is. I know there has to be a way without stacking so many plugins and Right Click + M every few seconds… any help is appreciated, thanks!

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”