Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Miss. G
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 pm

x

Sustain a Note Without Retrigger After Pattern Loop

Hi all!

First time posting, but this is a question I've been meaning to ask for years at this point:

There's many times in which I'd like a note to sustain after a loop but keep it as a midi note in the pattern (without freezing it), to act as a sort of "carry" to the next bar. See the image to see what I mean. That note that's circled right at the end, I'd like it to continue to play after it has "stopped" into red box on the left.

I've been using workarounds of this for years, but often have to rewrite things to avoid having end-of-bar/pattern sustains. The workarounds I've used is basically exclusively using Harmor's polyphonic "Kill all" mode and having a flat release line of arbitrary length in the ADSR. This way it will continue playing until the next note, but this of course limits me to monophony and exclusively using Harmor... Which I basically do anyway, but if I want to use other synths, I'm screwed. If I want a chord to act like this, I'd need as many Harmor instances as there are voices in any given chord, which can get out of hand quickly.

The other workaround I've been using is shifting the entire pattern to the left by the length of the note, and drawing it off grid (well, bar-line grid) within the playlist. I don't like freezing my midi tracks because I continue to adjust notes and phrasing pretty much throughout the project, and it would only slow me down to have to keep the midi elsewhere and keep freezing it after every change. I also don't like drawing things off grid on the playlist because it messes with the pattern paint tool and is way more trouble than it's worth... Plus it looks untidy having this 1 track being slightly shifted compared to the rest.

I'm trying to do this sustain thing using SimSynth right now (specific synths don't matter, this is a general problem), but adding any release means all these notes start blending together horribly, when I want each one to be distinct. Basically I can have one or the other; long release to carry over and mess up everything else, or no release and being unsatisfied that I can't do what I want, yet will keep the rest of the notes in tact. Like I said, if I have to keep making new instances just to get certain notes to carry over, things get out of hand quickly, so any information about this will help greatly.

If there's nothing that can be done, I'll just default to my hack-y way of doing things, or concede and freeze the midi.

Cheers!

Edit: Another workaround solution was found that's better than my own. Thank you everyone for your help! <3
Last edited by Miss. G on Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrassElephant
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:13 am

x

Re: Sustain a Note Without Retrigger After Pattern Loop

Kinda like this? Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”