Advice on getting started with freelancing?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
beyondsonic
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:30 pm

x

Advice on getting started with freelancing?

I've chased my passion for music via FL Studio since version 4. I keep hitting "life" roadblocks every year... a devastating heartbreak and global pandemic were just the cherries on top in the last couple years! But I made up my mind to be more determined than ever. So, this year, I moved closer to Atlanta, Georgia (in the USA) where the market is a bit better for the genre of music I write in.

But I still have bills to pay in the meantime. I'm currently on the day job search... but every job I review pains me to think about spending so many endless hours away from the studio.

Now, getting into any major music production studio would be nearly impossible without an already-established workflow in Protools... from what I can tell. It's not a capability issue of course, but just that different DAWs speak different "languages" (in terms of workflow, project file sharing, etc.), and most studios seem to speak Protools, so that option is would require a new skill set and education. But with over a decade of FL Studio under my belt, and several years of college-level education in audio engineering, I feel like I have marketable skills to offer IN FL Studio.

So my questions are:
Does anybody else here do freelance work with FL Studio? If so, what type of jobs are most common? What are appropriate rates to charge for what type of work? Is it a viable source of income as a side gig / part time job supplement?

ARE THERE any major studios out there that work in FL Studio? Has anybody migrated / cross trained to Protools (Or other "commercial" DAW) to the point of marketable proficiency for the sake of finding work in the audio industry?

If you make money in audio or music and are an FL Studio user, I covet your wisdom!

Hevy (IL)
Technical Support
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:27 pm

x

Re: Advice on getting started with freelancing?

Hi there. The best advice I can give is to vis...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”