FL Studio & Windows 3 Screen Display Setup - You May Want To Understand Something

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
jesussaddle
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:35 pm

x

FL Studio & Windows 3 Screen Display Setup - You May Want To Understand Something

FL Studio is just one of probably thousands of apps that are very hospitable to these multi-display configurations. There is a weird catch that I wasn't fully aware of. Because Windows lets us re-order our displays in ways that differ from the physical ports it sees (1, 2, 3, 4..), (& also lets us change your Main display - see the very the bottom of the Display Settings page). I'm just here to recommend that before you re-order AND change the main display (both) that you are careful not to orphan one of your GUI windows - by having at least one screen layout saved that has every interface window on the main display. Its not serious, but just a cause of momentary confusion.

What happened to me is that I had already been using a 3 display system, and managed to be short of cables and adapters. Because Windows allows those of us who are frugal to save money and not rush out and buy fancy adapter cables, I happened to plug the display such that the port ordering of windows (1, 2, 3, 4...) found my main display as #3. I knew it was non-standard, but I changed it anyway (its economical - I don't have to buy the expensive adapter right away). HOWEVER, FL expected my piano roll to be on the screen to the right of this main display. And since its number 3, and I have 3 displays... You probably get where I'm coming from. There is a default layout saved on FL Studio so it wouldn't have been an issue aside from a big mystery at first (I kept trying to open the piano roll....:D But I have a video software program that also had interface elements to the right of the main display - that doesn't offer saved interface window layouts. So the fix was to re-order the displays so that there would be a display to the right of the main display - TEMPORARILY, so I could rescue those interface pieces. This was a pretty funny thing, but I can imagine it happening to someone working on some big project and not understanding the Windows display arranger system itself.

I'm just glad it only took a minute to understand it, and hoping that when Tesla decides to offer flying cars, that it is thought out in advance so some Mad Max consumer doesn't launch a flying vehicle unaware that a crucial interface element needed to land is expected at a theoretical location in the system - that doesn't exist.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”