What's really going on with these "analog" "weightier" sound 3rd party simulator plugins?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
abelg
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 pm

x

What's really going on with these "analog" "weightier" sound 3rd party simulator plugins?

I've been watching a lot of different youtubers and during their tutorials inevitably they bring up some plugin whether it be a compressor, eq, or whatever, they always talk about how these add to the color and weight to the sound. OK, so they saturate the sound. Do these plugins actually model the sound to "color" the signal in whatever way the analog counterpart does?

I've never used another DAW outside of FL since 2001. All these years I've been under the impression that you can achieve whatever you want with native tools. Especially so in recent times. Maximus, limiter, blood overdrive, these all have saturation. Are they not capable of adding "weight" "color" and "character"?

If I wanted to sound like my mix was produced in an analog studio, would I need all these analog sims to achieve it? Not that I want to, but if I did, could it be done?

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”