Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
TranceCrafter
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:04 am

x

question about synthesizer/vsti design

I am really quite curious to learn a bit about how an oscillator section of a vsti such as sylenth1, or toxic biohazard, or massive. etc works.

I've been spending a lot of of time reading and learning a lot about oscillators for a few years now. and I understand enough that I am starting to get into 555 timer chips. (though i don't really have an interest or enough physical resources to play around with integrated circuits!)

and these oscillators that I am looking at (such as relaxation oscillator chips etc) are a lot more complex than the oscillator inside a vsti.

does anyone here on the IL forum know much about what kinds of coding knowledge is necessary to understand the way a vsti such as sylenth1 works?

for example:

- I am kinda wondering if the oscillator inside a vsti NEEDS to generate the waveform (sawtooth, square wave, triangle wave, pulse wave, sine) or are these often just sampled by a playback of the waveform as a wav file?

- is the code for a single oscillator generating a waveform, and controlling its pitch/envelope particularly cpu intensive? are some methods for creating a vsti more demanding of the cpu and ram than others?

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”