Top Tip! Humanizing Melodies The Never Done Before Way!

Exchange FL Studio tips & tricks

Return to “Tips & Tricks”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Tozzy
Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:28 pm

x

Top Tip! Humanizing Melodies The Never Done Before Way!

DISCLAIMER: YOU MUST HAVE THE MELODY IN MIND FIRST OBVIOUSLY BUT TAKE A LOOK AT THIS:

So lets say you've got an intricate melody that you want to quickly compose into the piano roll, but you simply don't have the time to practice playing it on the MIDI controller. Well, an easy way to get your score into the piano roll without ever needing to learn how to play it in the first place is to pencil them in, note by note. But now, there's one problem, all the notes are there, but they are snapped to the grid (not good) and all the velocities are at the same level so the result is extremely mechanical sounding.

Here's what you do to fix that WITHOUT NEEDING TO LEARN TO PLAY THE MELODY:

Clone the channel so you now have two channels. One has your original melody snapped to the grid with velocites all the same level and the other channel is an empty channel.
Go into the piano roll onto the empty channel, but make sure you solo it first so you can't hear the first channel when we record.
Turn off snapping.
Hit record.
Take off your headphones (or just mute the master track) so you cannot hear what you are playing.
Play your melody on your keyboard as if you know the notes to play, but all you are doing is playing random keys.
Stop recording.
Now you have a piano roll full of random notes AND the correct velocities for each note AND the correct placement of notes in the piano roll.
The only problem is that the notes are all random notes which is not good so, turn on GHOST NOTES to show the correct notes of the melody in your first channel.
Now you simply pitch shift the random notes up or down to match the ghost notes, but DO NOT move the notes left or right. I like to select one note at a time and hit SHIFT and up/ down.
The result is a humanized melody, which you never needed to learn how to play.
I hope you all understood me, but if not, please tell me and I'll explain again.
I use this method whenever I have an intricate melody in my mind and I haven't got time to play it perfectly on the MIDI keyboard, but I need it in the piano roll FAST in a humanized state.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”