Exchange FL Studio tips & tricks

Return to “Tips & Tricks”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
laffik
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:30 pm

x

Decompression - Uncompression - loudness war saga

Hello Forum!

Looks like I will get habilitation in tricks forum or at least Nobel Peace Prize for settling The Loudness War... Heh... There it go:

Some folks are seeing track that is brickwall compressed without pumping, overcompression, clipping and so as a track that is distorted, overdriven, pumping due to mainly how it look in Editor. In example track looks like this:

We may clearly say that it is brickwall limited so if someone squeezed it that hard it surely has some clipping, distortion issues or so, so it is qualified as "sounding bad".

However lets do the trick. When file is in Edison, mark Phases radio button under the sonogram view. Drag left point of equalizer line max down and right one max up, like here:

Click on Accept (dry wet to max wet). In Edison main menu click on Normalize.

What we get?

Very nice looking waveform of track. Like here:

Does it still sound overcompressed?

Some may say. OK. It's cheat. It only looks nice and it's still the same distorted sound. I say no. Distortion is audible when membrane has to stop suddenly at some level and it makes way ahead due to it's inertia. In this case due to phase reshuffling membrane may smoothly follow wavering signal of a sound.

Maybe it is not only by how it looks. Let's do the test.

Give some audiophile biased against compression two sounds. One before and another after this trick. And let him choose by ear. I doubt if someone finds which is which.
Give some audiophile biased for compression same sounds gained on a speaker to make the same loudness. And let him choose by ear. I doubt if someone finds which is which.

So what's the war for? For nothing? Blame The General.

Howk!

Personally I feel that reshuffled is half of promile (0.5*1/1000) better. Sometimes I think I notice distortion when there's few samples of same value played, something like the sound was to bright or so... Hallucination? Naaay.... F@#k it! Whatever....

laffik
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:58 pm

x

Re: Decompression - Uncompression - loudness war saga

Here's Convolver configuration that does phase ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”