Shaper on kicks transient - heavy weaponry for loudness war.

Exchange FL Studio tips & tricks

Return to “Tips & Tricks”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
laffik
Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:52 pm

x

Shaper on kicks transient - heavy weaponry for loudness war.

I've invented a trick with shaper lastly and realize that lot of people have a riddle with house kick sounding properly.
Since I know that this trick is common in house music, techno and even drum and bass I'm going to share it cause it is not something complicated nor unique apparently and all should know while all know already.

So it goes:

1. Load kick or synthesize one in sample
2. Lay the kick in the playlist
3. Send it to any insert in the mixer
4. Insert Fruity Wave Shaper in the insert
5. Create automation clip for shaper's mix level in the playlist paralelly with kick
6. Create gate-like envelope starting at 0%, jumping to 100% almost immediately after kick's click on the beginning and returning to 0% after 10-15ms.
7. Bend Wave Shaper curve in the shape window to somewhere between 30-100% according to taste

This trick will improve the punch of a kick for about 6dB subjectively leaving peaks of a kick where they were before. That means you can maximixe your kick before with leaving zero attack peak on the beginning of a sample and add this missing klick with shaper using this trick.

Same technique can be used for snares. If trick produces sizzle on snare, lowpass can be applied before shaper at c.a. 2kHz solving problem.

Good for hihats too and for all percussive samples.

Shaper is also good to amplify whole track with curve with 10% tension - it gives another 3dB subjectively with leaving dB meter unchanged.

laffik
Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:25 pm

x

Re: Shaper on kicks transient - heavy weaponry for loudness

Here is a .zip file with project showing the di...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”