Solo Flute for Direct Wave

Discuss & Share DirectWave content here

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Samms
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:05 pm

1 x

Solo Flute for Direct Wave

This is my first time posting on these forums and hopefully I will get it right.

Here is a solo flute I have created for Direct Wave based on samples from Philharmonia Orchestra. This is my first attempt at creating an instrument for Direct Wave, I hope its helpful.

Some notes;
- The patch I have created is for a sustained solo flute, so the samples are looped. Creating an appropriate loop region was the most challenging task I had to deal with. It was impossible for me to do this in Direct Wave and instead I used Edison. I will be doing a staccato patch for the same instrument soon.

- The samples are offered as raw recordings in mp3 format and required lots of editing and clean up before going into Direct Wave. I tried as much as I could to retain the soul of the samples during clean up to avoid loosing the character of the instrument, however some samples were extremely poor and sacrifices had to be made to make them usable.

- From the samples, up-to five velocity layers per note can be found, unfortunately not all notes had five velocity layers, some had three, others two and others just one, all mixed up in a single library. The problem here is that if a note with five velocity mapping is played consecutively with one with say three layers, then the difference in timbre at the same velocity for both notes can be dramatic, therefore to achieve a consistent timbre you might have to experiment a lot with velocities.

- Each single note for the entire range of the flute have been provided with its own samples, I only had to stretch one sample to cover two notes since one was completely unusable. I did not stretch the samples beyond the natural range of a flute.

All in all, I would say this turned out quite well considering these is made from free samples. Its hard to find free decent orchestral libraries out there and thanks to Philharmonia orchestra for giving out these samples.

I am no professional in creating instruments and this was a little experiment I decided to undertake. This was quite an intense process and I now appreciate what it takes to create an instrument for a library. I will try to make other Orchestral instruments for Direct Wave based on Philharmonia Orchestra samples or from any other source that anyone might suggest.

If you try this, kindly share your opinions and ideas as it would help in any improvements that can be done.

Here is the file,

Flute Solo Sus.zip

And a song I tested out the flute on,
Chandeliar by Sia, piano and flute arrangement.

chandelier.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Samms on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphagem-O
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:58 pm

1 x

Re: Solo Flute for Direct Wave

Samms wrote:This is my first time posting on th...

Samms
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:21 am

1 x

Alphagem-O wrote:Samms wrote:This is my first t...

Samms
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 pm

0 x

I have updated the file for the flute above. Tu...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”