DirectWave questions plus, what's this .WAV file?

Discuss & Share DirectWave content here

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
plnelson
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 am

x

DirectWave questions plus, what's this .WAV file?

I bought the Directwave "Full" version so I'm trying to figure out how it works, but the documentation is a little light. I'm using the pianos that came with FL Studio at the C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 20\Data\Patches\Packs\Instruments\Keyboard\Close Grand folder, which is 88 ".WAV" files, for my experiments.

The Documentation at https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/plugins/DirectWave.htm says the Workflow is . . .

1. Name all sample files with the desired features.
2. Enable 'Create program from samples', 'Extract root key from filename' and also recommended 'Auto normalize samples'.
3. Select all the files in your OS browser's folder and then drag and drop all into DirectWave.
4. Right click on one sample/zone in DirectWave and choose 'Automap Zone(s)'.

First of all, those files are already not named properly according to the specs but DirectWave uses them anyway. And then,
where do I ENABLE Create program from samples? There's a menu option in the file menu called "Create Program From Samples", but there's nothing to enable or disable; when you click it it wants you to point to the sample folder and then it already loads all the samples into DirectWave, which seems to obviate step 3! And where is Extract root key from filename?

The other thing that confuses me is that when I experiment on the actual .WAV files FL Studio uses for the DirectWave pianos at the pathname above there's something wrong with all of them. I can't play them as .WAV files in Windows Media Player, VLC or Adobe Audition. The latter reports "Error in WAV/W64/RF64 file. Malformed 'fmt' chunk."

My goal is to be able to take the sample files in FL Studio in their Instruments Pack and use them in DirectWave. Obviously that's already been done for us but I want to see if I understand this as a learning exercise. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”