Why i am an ILok fan. What!!!?

Post everything that's off-topic for the other boards here.

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Guido73
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm

x

Why i am an ILok fan. What!!!?

1. It's clear what you can and cannot do with your licences.

When using ILok protection a software publisher is able to determine how the licence can be used.

- How many activations? (how many ILoks can be used at the same time for a license).
- Can the licence be transfered to other accounts?
- Can the licence locally installed without an ILok dongle?.

In most cases licences can be transfered to other accounts, this means I am able to sell my licences to someone else or give them away. (Sometimes you buy a licence bundle upgrade and you end up with duplicate licenses on your account.) In most cases licences consists of multiple activations mostly two but sometimes publishers provide more, and occasionally less. This also means i can add licences on a secondary Ilok and give this one to a family member.

All this without worrying about overruling licence agreements.

Let's compare this to Image-Line licensing.

Image-Line allows you to install FL-Studio on multiple machines, they are actually very kind in stating that, Hell yeah ofcourse you can.. BUT... when they notice your licence is used by multiple users you will risk a lifetime ban (it's a single user licence after all).

Let's considering the following:
When the housemaid cleans the desks at the office, I never leave my personal belongings on my desk, it's not because i do not thrust the maid. it's because it's not pleasent for the maid to be thrusted in that way, you give away an unwanted responsibility. If my wallet or phone get's for example stolen he or she might feel responsible or bears the responsibilities. even though i would have collegues whom i coudn't thrust.

In a sense image-line does the same. We thrust you, we put everything on the table. Ofcourse they can thrust me, but in this era a hacker is never far away, i can't give a 100% guarantee my serial number will never get stolen.

2. One place for all my licenses.

I have all licences in one place, when i reinstall or install a new computer i do not need to register all software licences, i just plugin the ILok and i'm ready to go.

3. It just looks beatifull.

as a steel usb stick it just looks beatifull and is nearly indistructable.
My wife has a Pandora bracelet, and she collects charms for it, sometimes she gets them from family or sometimes i give a charm. all these charms reflects to memories and add more depth to bracelet, it's not just a bracelet, it's more than that, it's very personal.
in a sense i look add the ILok in the same way it's a collection of beatifull licences i collected over the years wrapped in great looking steal housing.

Blaster
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:22 pm

x

Re: Why i am an ILok fan. What!!!?

What if the ilok gets stolen or breaks? Beside...

Guido73
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 pm

x

That's true that's a disadvantage. It's possibl...

Blaster
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:41 pm

x

That's not really what I meant. If that happens...

Guido73
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 am

x

It's the Zero Downtime insurance, you'll need t...

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”