I want to say hello to everyone, and introduce myself

Post everything that's off-topic for the other boards here.

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
tranceemerson
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 am

1 x

I want to say hello to everyone, and introduce myself

I'm a music producer, of 25 years now, started out in my bedroom at the age of 14, where I started sequencing MIDI files using a locally written piece of music transcription software called MIDISoft Studio. At the time I was constricted to the use of an adlib music card, which if you didn't know was the affordable approach to doing MIDI in those days.

There were a lot of different sound devices and the Roland Sound Canvas SC-50 was the big one back in 1993. I took a paper route and started saving my money, I didn't buy a sound canvass, but I bought the Logitech Sound Man, which didn't have the reverb or chorus effect sends but it sounded better than my adlib music card. at the time I would just write some melodies and accompaniment, it was less percussion, and more like string quartet. Later I got into doing percussion when I discovered how to program drums on a MIDI card, and did some Funky, I want to say bluesy Saxophone lead stuff.. sounded cheesy without all the expression, but that's what I could make.

One day I went to see Mortal Kombat in the theater. the soundtrack blew me away, and I wanted to make music like that, I think that my attempts to do it were quite stressful on the rest of my family, because it was really aggressive and highly repetitive music, and of course because I'm trying to do it with General MIDI, it sounded obnoxious. My Mom was supportive still though. I had seen a page in a Tiger Direct catalog, the SW60XG music expansion card. It had all the bells and whistles, was more than I could earn on a shoestring budget so my Mom, bought it for herself, but I was able to use it. At that time I wanted to start making things that sounded more like music, so I started sequencing covers to bands like Depeche Mode, and Camouflage, and I spent a great deal of time learning about how to manually program my MIDI to make use of the features that the Yamaha XG, MIDI format.

In 1997 I picked up on a bit of software called Jeskola Buzz, which was like a tracker, of which I had been exposed to a few during my late High School years, programming Modular Music files for my friend's video games, at the time he took very seriously. It was with Buzz that I had realized that I could make more of the sound I was after earlier on because of the DSP processing modules, I found the tracker format slightly restrictive though, even though I knew I could do a few tricks to make it more flexible. All this was happening at a time when Softsynths were just coming out.

Do you guys have a background story you want to share? I would like to hear about it, and get to know some people a bit more. Take your time and write something, I'm really genuinely interested because I like seeing how people develop, it's my way of connecting.

iRelevant
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:43 am

0 x

Re: I want to say hello to everyone, and introduce myself

[void]
Last edited by iRelevant on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

iRelevant
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:43 am

1 x

Re: I want to say hello to everyone, and introduce myself

[void]
Last edited by iRelevant on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”