Thinking about switching to Live or Bitwig

Post everything that's off-topic for the other boards here.

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Nogyoff
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 pm

x

Re: Thinking about switching to Live or Bitwig

GFlare wrote: Yeah, that's correct. That is one way I'm stuck doing it today. It means that if I want to change that midi, I must do it in all patterns once again using this cut&paste method. If I want to audition an additional instrument, I'm doing this method again, even if I end up trashing it. If I decide i'm going to cut and chop it up to rearrange, even if I merge it back into a single pattern, I'll need to copy-paste using piano rolls and additional patterns for all the layers again. I now have additional patterns in the pattern picker, simply for different instruments (which I've got to remember to name with the instrument via auto-name-clips, since it's the same midi).
Also, as a side note; when you double-click the empty pattern in the next instrument track, it typically doesn't auto-zoom properly to the beginning (not sure why auto-zoom fails on empty patterns) and your pasted midi will not be at the correct spot. So add in an extra step to scroll to the beginning of that piano roll window.[/i

Nevertheless,
It's very different than creating a midi pattern, dragging a copy down to the next instrument, and being done already. With the FL studio great ability to edit the midi once and impact all those same patterns if you want to change it.

I get it. In other DAWS, the source of the content is on the tracks themselves. In Flstudio, the Playlist is simply a sketch board for applying the material that is sourced from the channel rack. It's a fundamental workflow difference, similar to how the MPC works with songs.

That being said, if you understand that everything flows from the channel rack, you can do all of this copying and pasting within the channel rack, which is what I do. And then add it where you want in the Playlist. I think it's actually way easier that way. My idea for you was just a workaround if you feel like you need to do it in the Playlist. I prefer not to try to make Flstudio behave the way other DAWS do. I think doing it in the channel rack, on specific patterns is actually way more precise than the way other DAWS work.

This is essentially why Bitwig tried to incorporate some of that idea into their workflow, with pattern clips that you can copy and paste separately before adding them to the arranger. It's the closest of any other program to Flstudio's pattern workflow, but not quite, because it still forces you to separate every instrument onto its own track, and it's still much harder to program multiple samples and instruments together as one pattern.

GFlare wrote:I now have additional patterns in the pattern picker, simply for different instruments (which I've got to remember to name with the instrument via auto-name-clips, since it's the same midi).

I should add that.. working in a more"Channel Rack centric" way, you won't have this problem. Because I don't necessarily make separate patterns for all of my different instruments until I know that these parts are done. I like to work with several instruments in one pattern because it's much easier to program that way. I copy and paste the midi from one instrument to another within the same pattern, if I'm just experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. Then you can just throw one pattern up on the playlist with three different instruments playing the same midi. Once you need to separate them, you can just A) Split by Channel, or B) Ctrl X in the channel rack on the instrument you want in it's own pattern, and hit F4 "next empty", name it something new, and paste into that instrument. So, this approach is more about keeping it a little vague as to what track will be what until you're absolutely sure what tracks need to be separated out.

Scoox
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 am

x

elusivemite wrote:Much like a sash window that'...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott
Site Admin
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 am

x

Chairbot wrote:Also very curious...how big is F...

Scoox
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:27 am

x

Scott wrote:Chairbot wrote:Also very curious......
Last edited by Scoox on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Site Admin
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 am

x

Scoox wrote:Total staff count is not as critica...

Scoox
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:44 am

x

Scott wrote:Where does it all seem to be headin...

GFlare
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 pm

x

Nogyoff wrote: I get it. In other DAWS, the sou...

Splunes
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:12 pm

x

Bitwig isn't there yet to compete with FL imo. ...

Chairbot
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 pm

x

Scott wrote: Ableton employ about 10x the peopl...

N_K
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:47 pm

x

Chairbot wrote:Scott wrote: Ableton employ abou...

Chairbot
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:19 pm

x

Yeah I definitely feel for the developers as we...

GFlare
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 pm

x

Nogyoff wrote: Okay, but back to your point abo...

Nogyoff
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:26 am

x

GFlare wrote:Nogyoff wrote: The complexity o...
Last edited by Nogyoff on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

N_K
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:49 am

x

Nogyoff wrote:I certainly don't know that many ...

xbitz
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:21 am

x

N_K wrote:Nogyoff wrote:I certainly don't know ...

xbitz
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:26 pm

x

^^^ Layers don't need mixer tracks assignment a...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xbitz on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GFlare
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:41 pm

x

threegeese wrote:I think we should not engage i...

xbitz
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:38 pm

x

threegeese wrote:xbitz wrote: "layer clips" bet...

Nogyoff
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:34 pm

x

threegeese wrote:Departing from the inexhaustib...

Nogyoff
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:15 pm

x

The FL Studio Ghost wrote: ⠀⠀⠀lolol I came here...

Nogyoff
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm

x

threegeese wrote: Right, two ways: where is the...

Scoox
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:30 am

x

Linked patterns are, for many of us, a strong f...

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”