yamaha mx49

MIDI Controllers FL Studio officially supports

Return to “MIDI Controller Reference List”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Buddy_Raptor
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:50 am

x

yamaha mx49

this synth is not listed and i have not been able to figure out how to capture sounds from the keyboard - the keyboard registers but FL studio won't play back sound

FieryLungs
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:09 am

x

Re: yamaha mx49

Just a heads up, this is a big hairy question you're asking. I'm going to be methodical about this so we don't miss anything. Don't be insulted if I ask a few obvious questions :D

I'm going to assume you've installed the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver v2.0.3 (wow, updated 17 days ago!) If you haven't (or just used the disc the MX49 came with), do that first. I'm also going to assume you're using Windows 10, the latest stable version of FL Studio, and that you have a known good USB cable preferably with a ferrite bead on it.

Buddy_Raptor wrote: this synth is not listed
Where is the MX49 not listed? There are two places it should be showing up if the drivers have been properly installed. In the Device dropdown menu in Settings - Audio devices / mixer and Settings - MIDI input / output devices.

Buddy_Raptor wrote: and i have not been able to figure out how to capture sounds from the keyboard
By sounds do you mean the actual audio output of the MX49 or do you mean MIDI messages triggered by the keyboard, pitch bend, mod wheel, knobs, etc? You posted in the MIDI Controller Reference sub-forum, but your MX49 is a MIDI controller AND audio interface so I want to make sure I'm helping you with the right issue.

Buddy_Raptor wrote: the keyboard registers but FL studio won't play back sound
Exactly where or how is the keyboard registering for you?

Buddy_Raptor
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:03 pm

x

Thanks for your reply, i really appreciate your help - and apologies for the "hairy question" but i've not set up a MIDI device before and have little technical knowledge or understanding of these kind of devices

so, firstly, yes we installed the latest USB driver (but for mac, not windows) and yes the USB cable has a ferrite bead

secondly the device IS listed when I go to > Options > MIDI Settings Out/Input settings window

but it is NOT listed when I scroll down to Input/Controller type in same window

in addition the MIDI output/input sections list the Yamaha in both places as "Yamaha MX Series Port 1/2/3/4/5"
and we set the port numbers in FL studio to match those port numbers

also under Options > Audio > Device i only have "built in output" as an option

regarding "sounds" - yes i meant the actual audio output of the MX49

in the channel rack i added a MIDI out and set the port number to match the yamaha ports listed above accordingly and where able to 'record' the 'sounds'

but it looks like FL Studio only captures the MIDI data (if that's the right terminology) and plays it back through the keyboard - triggering the built in 'sounds' of the keyboard which we hear as we have the keyboard going out to speakers (line out)

however, if we then switch over to the line out from the computer audio/FL Studio to try and play the same "sounds" back the MIDI channel in the channel rack shows the "data" captured but there is no sound

again I appreciate your help

FieryLungs
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:29 am

x

I'm more than pleased to help. My overarching in life is to make music better anyway I can. I'm not a mac user so I'll do my best but you might want to ask around in the Technical Support (macOS) forum as well.

One quick point before I get started; the port numbers on the MX49 and the port numbers in FL Studio aren't related and refer to different things. For example, you could set the MX49 port 1 to port 255 in FL Studio to access the functions port 1 provides on the MX49.
Buddy_Raptor wrote: but it is NOT listed when I scroll down to Input/Controller type in same window
That list is fixed in FL Studio and won't auto-create entries for every controller you install.
Buddy_Raptor wrote: in addition the MIDI output/input sections list the Yamaha in both places as "Yamaha MX Series Port 1/2/3/4/5"
and we set the port numbers in FL studio to match those port numbers
I'm not surprised the MX49 shows up as multiple MIDI devices. My lowly Korg padKONTROL shows up as padKONTROL A and B. Page 19 of the MX49 manual mention setting the MIDI in/out parameter to USB which sounds like what you've already done (if not, do so.)

Page 20 provides a breakdown of what each port does. I'll summarize them here, but it's worth reading the manual to really understand what each of the MX49s ports do.

Port 1 is used to address the MX49 sound engine/generator. This port receives midi information (usually from a MIDI-Out plugin in FL Studio). It also sends the MIDI information generated by the keys, knobs, pedals, wheels, etc.

Port 2 controls "the DAW software on the computer from the MX49/MX61 by using the Remote Control feature." I'm not exactly sure what this means so you'll have to do some manual digging. For our purposes here we can probably ignore it for the time being.

Port 3 lets you access the MX49 5 pin MIDI ports. If you aren't using any other MIDI gear you can ignore this, but if you want to add another synthesizer or controller you could plug it into the MX49 and transmit/receive the information that way.

Port 4 isn't used on the MX49 and MX61.

Port 5 sounds like it's used exclusively by the Yamaha Remote Editor.

It sounds like we can ignore and disable the MX49 ports 2 (for now), 3, 4, and 5. Give the MX49 Port 1 a port number in the FL Studio MIDI settings output section (any number you like) and Enable the MX49 port 1 in the input section. Set the Controller type to (generic controller) and set the Port number to ---.
Buddy_Raptor wrote: also under Options > Audio > Device i only have "built in output" as an option
That seems wrong to me. It seems like there might be a setting in the MX49 to engage the USB audio interface function. Does OSX see the MX49 as a sound card?
Buddy_Raptor wrote: in the channel rack i added a MIDI out and set the port number to match the yamaha ports listed above accordingly and where able to 'record' the 'sounds'

but it looks like FL Studio only captures the MIDI data (if that's the right terminology) and plays it back through the keyboard - triggering the built in 'sounds' of the keyboard which we hear as we have the keyboard going out to speakers (line out)

however, if we then switch over to the line out from the computer audio/FL Studio to try and play the same "sounds" back the MIDI channel in the channel rack shows the "data" captured but there is no sound
That's all sounds like it's working right. Simply put, FL Studio is being told to send MIDI notes to the MX49 port and the MX49 is creating the sounds for those notes. To get those sounds into FL Studio you'll need to first get the MX49 recognized as an audio interface then you can setup the mixer to receive the audio from the MX49.

Not having an MX49/61/88 in front of me I can't say for sure where the audio to USB host setting is hiding, but I believe it's in the MX49 utility menu. Poke around, see what you can find and let me know how it goes. I've subscribed to this topic so I'll get an email when you (or anyone) replies.

You'll also want to learn about local control. It's a setting that most synthesizers have that decouples the keyboard, knobs, wheels, etc from the sound engine. This is handy as sometimes you'll have a setup where the MIDI signal from the MX49 is sent right back to the MX49. Basically every keypress creates two sounds and can sound like a phaser or flanger is activated.

Buddy_Raptor
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:40 pm

x

thanks fiery lungs - super helpful advice - thank you
pretty much have everything configured per your suggestions
but still can't seem to capture the actual audio sounds in FL studio, just the midi data that plays back through the keyboard
digging through user manuals for yamaha and FL studio to see what i've missed
but seem to be going round and round in circles
planning to try a usb audio interface although i'm not certain that will work either
again, appreciate the help

FieryLungs
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:52 pm

x

I would really focus on getting OSX to use or see the MX49 as an audio interface. In other words, getting system sounds (like youtube in your browser) to playback from the MX49 outputs. I'm reading a lot about how the MX series can function as an audio interface, but can't find the exact steps required to activate that ability. Again, you'll probably get better help in the macOS Technical Support section (perhaps there's a OSX system setting that allows the MX49 built-in audio interface to function?) There's also a pretty active discord server with some very knowledgeable and helpful people. Not that I mind helping you, I'm just out of my depth when it comes to OSX.

Once you get that sorted out though it should be as easy as selecting the MX49 in FL Studio's audio settings, picking a mixer track for the MX49, and selecting it from the available inputs. Then you can record into the playlist or into Edison.

https://www.image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/mixer_iorouting.htm This section deals with internal/external audio routing in the mixer. In windows the "External audio IN" list changes based upon the audio device selected

https://www.image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/recording_audio.htm This manual section talks about recording in FL Studio (because there are a couple of ways to do it.)

Buddy_Raptor
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 pm

x

thank you fierylungs
i started a new thread in the OS channel where there seems to be more conversation regarding the MX49
i really appreciate all your help and suggestions
thank you - i'll let you know once we've figured it out

MrDreBeck
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:57 pm

x

I've got a issue with the MX49 on the MIDI side of things, how to activate the transport controls on the MX for FL Studio. When you click DAW control only the pitch and mod wheels work, and when the DAW Control is off, the controls work, but then trigger the sequencer and then recording goes mad! Does anyone have any experience or tips on how to get at least the transport controls stop play record working? :?: :|

NTO
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:35 pm

x

FLS wants MMC commands for transport control. Do you have DAW Select set to Cubase? That might work.

Seems that you can't assign that type of message to the transport controls.

The support type entries belong in this forum:
viewforum.php?f=1915

Return to “MIDI Controller Reference List”