Discuss MIDI Controller support/issues here

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Cozmicmusic
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:56 pm

x

Midi Recording Latency

Hello,

I've seen this issue on other forums with multiple DAWs but I have not been able to find a good solution for FL. Also a large problem is people dismiss it as a typical buffer length latency issue which it most definitely is not. The issue happens only during midi recording. This problem has been plaguing me for years and makes recording midi data completely useless. I've used different controllers, interfaces, and sound drivers. MIDI through USB and midi through an interface. When I record midi information it seems to be ahead. I created an experiment to demonstrate the issue. My set up is as follows:

Setup:
FL 12.5.1
Windows 10
Focusrite 2i4 interface
Buffer length 177 (5ms)

Procedure:
1) Open a blank project and enable the metronome.
2) Create a blank pattern and place in the playlist view
3) Open an instance of edison and the master track and set it to record on play
4) Select record automation and score
5) Start recording and use a midi keyboard to play the bass drum exactly on each metronome hit
6) After this drag the edison recording into the playlist view
7) Repeat steps 3-6 except this time instead of playing the kick using a midi keyboard use your previously recorded MIDI data

I attached a screenshot of the results. What you will see when you compare the two recordings is that the metronome stays in the same place but the recorded midi is about 20ms ahead of the performed MIDI.

The more I think about it the more this completely baffles me. In order for me to be able to play a synth in time with a drum loop there cannot be more than 5ms of latency in the whole system. Its almost as if the MIDI is recording on a seperate clock that is starting 20ms ahead of the system clock.

Please let me know if anyone is able to reproduce the issue or has a solution.

Thank you,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cozmicmusic
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 am

x

Re: Midi Recording Latency

I figured it out! Hope this helps someone in t...

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”