use MIDI to drive one VST with another?

Discuss MIDI Controller support/issues here

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
cobalt
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:50 am

x

use MIDI to drive one VST with another?

In the world of vintage hardware synths, it was possible to drive one device with another. For instance, using the output of a single drum on a drum machine to arpeggiate a keyboard with a bass patch on it. You could then program bass sequences by programming the drum machine pattern.

You can see an example of it in this youtube video:

The benefit to doing it this way, instead of just using the MIDI clock, is that you can create rhythm patterns that aren't just straight 8's or 16's (as the video shows at the 8:00 mark).

I would like to do this inside FL Studio, using just software synths. A VST drum machine (or sequencer samples) driving a VST keyboard's arpeggiation.

So....is there a way to do this in FL Studio? I've been trying to wrap my head around this for days now. I can see that most VSTs seem to have a MIDI in channel, but I've been having no success trying to send a simple beat pattern that a synth would arpeggiate to. In fact, things like simple samples don't even have a MIDI out (A major oversight!) And using the FL MIDI OUT doesn't send just the pattern, it also tends to want to reprogram the entire synth, patches, tones and all.

SO, how do I get just the arpeggiation pattern I want? Is it even possible?

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”