Daft Punk - One More Time remake

Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Spectre desSables
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:50 pm

x

Daft Punk - One More Time remake

A pretty close approximation of Daft Punk's Stardust/Discovery-era mixing style, if I say so myself, accomplished on almost fully-stock FL plugins, save for Nightshine (Alesis 3630 emulation vst) and Samplereducer (samplerate reducer vst) - (both are freeware, and HIGHLY recommended!!!) ***This .flp was made with FL11!

Project File:
Daft Punk - One More Time.flp
Wav File:
One More Time (Mastered)_Master.wav

The version of One More Time re-made was actually the 12" version from the One More Time single on iTunes. My copy of More Spell on You was also obtained from iTunes.

I did not apply the ending fade to the track.

To achieve the brass samples sound, two different layers of Eddie Johns' More Spell on You had to be used (Layer One samples found from 2:21 to 2:33 and Layer Two samples found from 0:17 to 0:30)

Both layers were sent independently to their own respective mixer tracks and processed independently;

Sample Layer 1 had stereo imaging using Fruity Stereo Shaper, wherein the left channel is removed and the right channel is fed back into the empty left for a double-mono kind of effect - right channel volume is a bit lower. Then, a ~1ms delay was added to the left channel. Various lowpass filtering, lowpass/highpass combo filters, plus shelving EQ etc to further shape the sound, plus the "disco smile" low/highpass combo filter (bass and treble cutoffs with narrow bandwidth, so as to boost the volume of the lowest and highest frequencies), then Blood Overdrive added for some tasteful saturation before being sent into Nightshine for some House-style pumping

Sample Layer 2 had stereo imaging, but just simply had its image widened slightly (~25% IIRC), and it has all original transients from the sample, NO drum sample replacements! This was achieved in Patcher by using Fruity Limiter to gate the kick and snare from the sample, and feed them both out at much higher volume (but with slightly delayed attack and VERY fast release) to mix with the dry signal - this gave the following saturation plugins more transient info to bite into and enhances the drum transients of the sample, just like in the OG One More Time.

Then, I simply added basic EQ, Nightshine for compression, and maybe some shelving/lowpass/highpass filtering. Both sample channels bussed together into a single stereo channel that featured further, more precise EQ in the form of precise notch filtering/surgical boosting (to both attenuate 3rd-order harmonics that clashed with the fundamentals from the chords in the samples, and to accentuate the fundamental frequencies of the intervals that make up the brass chords in the samples themselves, as Daft Punk did)

Then I added a touch more EQ to simply balanced the mixed samples.

Drum and percussion samples were standard; 808 and 909 kick, with a layered acoustic kick underneath for high-end punch, 707 and 909 snare, mix of 707, 808, and 909 hihats (both open and closed) several tambourines and shakers, and a claves sample underneath that. Drum beat patterns were offset with a 60% swing (probably around triplet 8th note value) but automated so as to be disabled during shaker/tamborine-only percussive breaks and the first part of the hook in the song.

Kicks bussed to one bus, snares bussed to one bus, and tambs/shakers bussed to one bus. Each bus featured varying degrees of compression/EQ. HiHats all sent directly to mix bus.

Synth part was done with FL Keys set as Rhodes, and a typical organ soundfont that was lowpassed around 800Hz-1KHz.

Samples were ducked using sidechain compression in the form of Fruity Peak Controller, controlling the Volume knob (set with default value as Unity, so as not to overdrive sample vol) of a blank EQUO plugin on the Samples Bus.

Everything was bussed to a single stereo mix bus, featuring touch-up EQ, compression (Nightshine) and a small bit of samplerate reduction (Samplereducer).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zephyrean
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:41 am

x

Re: Daft Punk - One More Time remake

Listened to this on YouTube just the other day....

mikebike
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am

x

Re: Daft Punk - One More Time remake

HI! Tried to download your "one more time" flp ...

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”