DOOM Instrument

Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
ParallaxMusician
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 am

x

DOOM Instrument

I saw a post a while back talking about the "DOOM Compressor", and what it does. I decided to try to make an entire patcher preset that attempts to emulate the DOOM sound in a way. The concept is relatively simple, and the patch does a decent recreation of it.

Doom Instrument Test 2.mp3
Doom Instrument Test 1.mp3
Some audio demos of the DOOM instrument

Capture.PNG
Behold, the DOOM instrument

Anyways. To explain how it works is honestly very easy. The actual workings of it are a bit interesting, but for the most part, the user's controls are straightforward.

Sine to Triangle: Changes the wave gradually from a sine wave to a triangle. To edit the waves themselves, just change the waveforms in Op. 1 and 2 in Sytrus.

Filter Cutoff: Basic lowpass filter.

Overdrive/Crush/Saturate/Amp: Controls the mix knob for the distortion plugins.

Volume Sliders: Controls the volume of each part before the DOOM Compressor.

Dry/Wet: Dry controls the amount of uncompressed grit. Wet controls the amount of sound coming out of the DOOM Compressor.

Master: Controls overall, volume.

Pretty simple.

Some more details/notes:

Each of the distortion modules does a different thing and mixing it up can make it interesting. Overdrive is just Fruity Blood Overdrive. Crush is the Harmor Bitcrusher distortion. Saturate is a Fruity Waveshaper saturating the sound. Amp is a distortion done in Waveshaper, then ran through a guitar cabinet to slightly get the sound of a guitar amp.

The "High" and "Low" functions are just EQed and overcompressed versions of the sound coming through Sytrus. No distortion. Can act as a good background to add depth through the grittiness.

Due to FL Studio not having a wide range of distortion plugins, it's not the best version of a DOOM Instrument. I've found replacing the distortion plugins with more weird ones makes it sound way better. The amp section can have better sound by using a decent amp simulation. Ultimately, take apart the patch and play with the distortion. Four plugins I use in my personal rendition are Waves Berserk (Saturate), iZotope Trash 2 (Overdrive), any decent amp sim (Amp), and any decent bitcrushing plugin for the crush section. I also like to play with some different compressors. Play with some different effects you like and see what you come up with.

doom.mp3
An example of the DOOM Instrument with some effects swapped out

Be aware the thing can be stupid loud.

Doom Instrument.fst
The DOOM Instrument. Have fun with it

TL;DR: Made noisy patch. Sounds neat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”