Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
AudioSmith
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 am

x

Crystal Castles - Celestica Pad Help Request

Hi,

Lately I've been trying to wrap my head around the pad in this song, starts at the beginning and plays throughout:

To my ears it's pretty simple; it's sampled strings with some kind of repeating effect and a little bit crushing, some of the low end cut out. The strings play by themselves at the end of the song without any repeating effect (@3:22). The repeating effect is achievable with grossbeat and the bitcrushing with distructor. But I feel like something is missing... when I try making something similar I get nowhere near that magical ethereal quality that the sound in the song has. Is there anything else in there that you can make out? I can hear some kind of filtering/phasing/almost formant-y effect on the strings, most notably at the end of the phrase (around 3:26) but I can't really tell. Even the high notes on the ascending lines in the first half of the string phrase has this blurry quality to it that makes me think there's more than just strings going on, but I have no idea what it could be... could also be nothing and just the sound of the strings in that recording. Maybe there's some pecial kind of reverb in there?

Here's the instrumental version

11/19/2021 edit - for those of you in the future, I think an important quality of the sound, that "filtering/phasing/almost formant-y effect", might be coming largely from upping the resonance on a filter and modulating the cutoff. Before that I tried using a vocoder and it didn't really work.
Last edited by AudioSmith on Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zephyrean
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:35 pm

x

Re: Crystal Castles - Celestica Pad Help Request

AudioSmith wrote: ↑Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 pm Zep...

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”