Excessive Distortion Patch

Share your Patcher presets here

Return to “Patcher - Presets”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
miles_t3hr4t
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:48 am

x

Excessive Distortion Patch

I have spent almost all day creating a rather excessive patcher preset, with the intent of trying to use it for hardstyle, Though not completely sure if it will work for hardstyle. It's still rather interesting though, So I am sharing it here. I hope it finds some good use.

So, It takes a while to load, and (at least on my machine) this has a BOATLOAD OF LATENCY... 310ms of latency in fact, So this is not intended for use in a song, but rather for processing sounds to render out and resample. When it finishes loading this nested abomination, you should be greeted by a control surface. color coded for readability.
overview.png
overview.png (146.83 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
I included a description of what it does in the control surface, but for clarity I will be demonstrating everything inside this patcher, and why each decision was made, so that you can understand exactly what it's doing, and how best to use it.

Each colored column is a separate "Module" that is connected in series, as shown here
Superstructure.png
Superstructure.png (233.09 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
First is the All-pass module, that I am not 100% sure is actually an allpass filter. I read online that an allpass filter is just a high pass and a low pass connected in parallel, and that seems to work, or at least it does something... Except I noticed that that leaves a lot more options for customization for an allpass, particularly the ability to enable linear phase. which is what this module is.

If that's not actually how an allpass works, Then it is labeled incorrectly. because what I have described, That's exactly what's inside.

It consists of 2 EQ2's in parallel, fed into a limiter. there is a duplicate pair of EQ2's in linear phase mode, and toggling between the two pairs is done via the Lin. Ph. button on the control surface, which controls the volume via two waveshapers. I used waveshapers because the post knob is at 100% by default, for a 0-100% button toggle. There's probably a better way that uses less CPU, but I never promised an optimized patch. As you can see, there are other controls as well
Allpass Module.png
Allpass Module.png (117.94 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Looking back to the control surface, you can see that there's a Frequency knob, a Resonance knob, and an Order option, these control the frequency, resonance/width, and filter order (Steep/Gentle) of all the EQ2's. The Default settings are the default order, and as flat of a curve as I could manage.
default no peak.png
default no peak.png (430.47 KiB) Viewed 2517 times

The next module is the distortion module, Which consists of 4 different wave shapers in parallel
Technically there's 2 more waveshapers, but, we'll get there.
Distortion Module.png
Distortion Module.png (101.46 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
To get it out of the way first, There's 2 at the bottom "Dry-Ish" and "Dry-Ish Passthrough". For our purposes "Dry-ish" means the output of the previous filter module, and not the "True" Dry signal. There is no Wet/Dry passthrough in this patcher, It's all very wet... Damp... Soggy even... you could easily drown if you turn it all on. If all the distortion modules (including dry-ish) are disabled on the control surface, then the passthrough version is active, but if ANY of the distortion buttons for this step in the chain is enabled, then the passthrough waveshaper is disabled. the "dry-ish" waveshapers do not have any wave shaping. it's a glorified volume knob

They are waveshapers because, again, 0-100% post knob connected to a button. The other 4 actual distortions however....

The first 3 distortion options, are Saturation, Clipping, and Crossover-Ish (Sat/Clip/Cross on the control surface)
And I say crossover-ISH because it's not normal crossover distortion. I Don't know the actual type of distortion that this is, It might have been tape but I'm not 100% sure. The distortion is at the crossover but near-ish to the zero-crossing it is inverted, before returning to correct phase. These are not professionally chosen, I just kinda did it.

These 3 distortion options are the same in all 8 modules, as seen here.
Sat Clip Cross.png
Sat Clip Cross.png (39.41 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
The CHAOS Distortion however, Is a custom waveshaper I slapped together semi-randomly, That is Different for each module. 7 of them are Asymmetrical. Number 8 is symmetrical and is the only one that is a stock waveshaper preset. Number 3 is probably asymmetrical because I did it freehand without snapping. all 8 of them are shown here in order.
Chaos Distortions.png
Chaos Distortions.png (141.8 KiB) Viewed 2517 times

Honestly, I should have put more knobs just to control the post volume of each distortion, before they get fed into a limiter, but there wasn't exactly any more room on that control surface, and this genuinely took hours. Instead They just feed directly into the limiter, which ultimately means the perceptual volume of each parallel distortion, is dependent upon the number of active distortions in that stage.

But That is the end of it.
In the control surface it goes Top to bottom and left to right as columns. Filter, Distortion, Then move one to the right, Filter, distortion.

The default positions of each knob leaves this patch as close to the original sound as I could personally manage, but there is no way to configure this to have no effect, and that is deliberate. It means it will ALWAYS be running through 8 allpass filters at a minimum.
ZVENGKS' Distortion Mangle (Fixed).fst
(467.75 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
EDIT - Also, All limiters, are default. I wasn't sure how best to handle it so I just left it like it was.
Also, ZVENGKS is just my alias on bandcamp, hence the name in the patch. This was a fairly recent decision.

Edit 2 - I realize I should probably also have a file to demonstrate what kind of stuff this can do.
This is just the default kick from the default project, and then I just started messing with this patch on it, gradually turning things on, then gradually turning them off.
--:-- / --:--
Edit 3, .fst replaced with a fixed version where the launch parameters and the default parameters are now the same, so that it can be restored to it's mostly neutral state.
Help text also moved to a separate HELP tab, so that it's huge window isn't quite so huge.
Last edited by miles_t3hr4t on Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Audiobusters
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 pm

x

Re: Excessive Distortion Patch

Oho! A new toy! --- miles_t3hr4t, what have...
Last edited by Audiobusters on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audiobusters
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:41 pm

x

miles_t3hr4t wrote: ↑Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:48 am I...

miles_t3hr4t
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 am

x

Audiobusters wrote: ↑Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:41 pm ...

Audiobusters
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:18 am

x

miles_t3hr4t wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 am ...

miles_t3hr4t
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:57 am

x

Audiobusters wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:18 am m...

Audiobusters
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:59 pm

x

miles_t3hr4t wrote: ↑Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:48 am E...

miles_t3hr4t
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:14 am

x

Audiobusters wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:59 pm m...

Audiobusters
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:30 pm

x

miles_t3hr4t wrote: ↑Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:14 am A...

threegeese
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:17 pm

x

Thank you! This huge patch makes some nice soun...

Return to “Patcher - Presets”