If realized, it would ideally be user-selectable, as alternative to current layout so that nothing would be taken away from existing users. User would be able to select (from the top-left menu) the current GUI as "Player Layout", and this one as "Synthesis Layout".
Requirements from user:
- minimum 1920x1080 pixels display recommended (100% UI size is 1664x963px)
Requirements from developer:
- some new GUI code for drag & drop of modules
- adjustments of control placings
- no core functionality modifications needed - this is GUI only
Operability / usability benefits:
- "image selected column" easier to use, due to both selector (in IMG) and shape (in ENV) being visible at the same time
- activated Articulations and Mappings easier to see (permanent list on the left works as primary selector, secondary selector as tabs like in Sytrus)
- better visual separation between Part and Global parameters
- better visual indication of modularity (WYSIWYG drag & drop rearranging of modules)
- most of functionality on same screen; no need for ENV-IMG-FX-ADV tabbing
- larger Envelope / Articulation / Mapping window for editing convenience
In addition to what's visible in the image, these improvements would be useful:
- ability to turn OFF the zoom autoreset in Envelope / Articulation / Mapping window. When OFF, it would always shows last user-set zoom level for each shape/articulator/map.
- backgrounds of Envelope / Articulation / Mapping etc. window could have user-selectable vertical line intervals (10%, 20%, 0.10, 0.20 etc.)
Apologies for this being a straight-up bitmap rearrangement from screenshots.
I'm sure that if work on something like this would be greenlighted, devs would have plenty of ideas to further refine the realization of "WYSIWYG / Everything Always Visible" concept.
NOTE: this is initially posted in Harmor subforum instead of TODO, so that other users would be more likely to notice and comment on the idea.
Attached also a Hi-DPI version.