Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
I'mVen
Sat May 14, 2022 11:54 pm

x

How Loud / Silent does FL go

First of all, I hope this is the right place to post this. o.o
So today I've done some research on Bitdepth and SNR and decided to test it out myself.

So in order to not record the Noisefloor of my Microphone or physical Mixer but the actual electronic Noisefloor.

I decided to just record without Input. Felt real smart about that lol.
But upon trying to use the Normalize feature of the Sampler and Edison I was dissapointed that it wouldn't make any difference. For the purpose of testing, this was frustrating but I thought to myself maybe there's some code magic that recognices when a file contains no information besides the Noisefloor which normally no-one would want to normalize that so I thought I'd boost it manually.

I chained plugins, in total boosting by 1500 dB. Which even though I made sure nothing would go out from the Masterchannel, this was still really scary lol. Anyway nothing happened. So then I thought maybe there's some code magic that would ensure the noisefloor would be Phasecancelled out while recording.
Which again is great but frustrating for testing.

I messed around with sending an actual Signal into FL and going back and fourth and every which way, boosting, attenuating and recording because I really just wanted to explore the Noisefloor of different bitdepths but nothing would let me hear the Noiseefloor.
However as I was messing around I noticed that the audio would suddenly cut out when boosting or cutting it too far.

So turns out there's nothing as fancy happening as I first thought. At least as far as I can tell.

Simply there's a Gate or 2 rather.
Anything below -113 dBFS is simply cut, nothing gets through
For Signals at -113 dBFS it takes 0.11 seconds for that to come through but after that time it does come through.

For Signals at -112 dBFS the release is 0.05 seconds.
And thinking about it now, I should have tested the attack too. o.o

As for the other end anything above 769 dBFS which I realize doesn't even really make sense to spell out...
The audio just cuts. Though it's not the same and it seems to be more of a practical limitation than a set limitation because even after going lower again the audio wouldn't come back until all chained plugins are manually turned off and some time passes and I would get some glitches as well until it starts working again.

What's most interesting though is that FL was still processing a Signal. As in Plugins would still be working and displaying that something is being played as it should, just no audio would feed into my physical mixer. And changing the resampling value made no difference.

So there's probably a million relevant things I'm missing and not realizing. I'm no expert afterall.
But I'd love for someone that has a proper understanding of all this to chime in. ^_^

Now I don't think that this is helpful for development since the developers probably know all this stuff already but maybe it's interesting for some that didn't know yet. If I'm even the first person to test this in the first place. o.o

Oh and in case anyone is worried, I set up several redundancies of safety, making sure to not actually send those ungodly levels into my mixer or speakers or to even let it go out the masterchannel. My system is fine.

Hope this is interesting to somebody besides me. Cheers. :D

nucleon
Mon May 16, 2022 7:27 am

x

Re: How Loud / Silent does FL go

FL Studio runs at 32 bit float internally so th...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timex_cme
Mon May 16, 2022 4:53 pm

x

nucleon wrote: ↑Mon May 16, 2022 7:27 am Here f...

Musik Magier
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:47 pm

x

ok this made me curious too.. because the cuts ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hevy (IL)
Technical Support
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:10 pm

x

Musik Magier wrote: ↑Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:47 pm ...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”