Upgrade to ASIO soundcard or better CPU?

Please report Windows related issues here

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”

Forum rules
WE NEED DETAILS!

We appreciate your frustration when things don't work as you expected. However, please help us to help you by following these suggestions:

1. Update - Before anything else, download and install the latest version of FL Studio from here. Your bug may be fixed already!
  2. Specific information - a) FL Studio version & build number, b) what you are doing and what happens exactly, c) step-by-step instructions how reproduce the problem.
  3. Screenshots - Another great way to demonstrate issues. Get a free screenshot app here. Include images using the 'Attachments' tab, at the bottom of the post edit window.
  4. A video - The best way of demonstrating many issues. Get a free recorder here. Include mp4 videos to your post from the 'Attachments' tab, at the bottom of the post edit window.
  5. Use English - Google Translate your post. Short simple sentences in your original language translate best. We are happy to work this way, no need to worry.

NOTE: Technical Support is ONLY available Monday - Friday (9 am to 5 pm Central European Time), thank you.

ALL posts made in this forum are 'Private' so that only you and staff can see them. This allows sharing of personal data, projects and other information. Posts are generally made public after they are marked 'Solved' AND there was no personal data contained in them.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Luke Satin
Tue May 03, 2011 8:29 am

x

Upgrade to ASIO soundcard or better CPU?

Hello,

This is not related to FL10, I had those issues also in FL9. I don't have any problem with FL, I love it. I just want to ask what is better upgrade as I can buy only one of those things.

I have like 10 synths in project, one FPC (each sample on it's own channel with it's own VST effects). A lot of automation clips, modulation, filters as I like drum&bass only :-)

It plays quite well on dell laptop (dual core intel 2.2 ghz, 2gb ram, integrated intel hd audio), but if I start to tweak something with mouse or midi controller (akai mpd26 on usb) it starts to lag. CPU spikes to 100% and ASIO4ALL icon starts blinking to red. I have turned all the options for buffers in options and raised buffer in asio.

I understand that external soundcard like Creative E-MU would allow me to use midi controller in realtime mode with midi, not usb. But I think it won't help me with a lot of automation clips, synths and effects - or would some external asio buffer on this soundcard help me with CPU usage?

I can buy creative e-mu, m-audio or something. I can use both USB and Firewire (which would be faster of course).

OR I can buy AMD Phenom II 3.3 Ghz (dual core), 4 GB ram. I know that intel is faster at 3.3ghz, but I'm a student and this is the best I can get.

I know I can save everything to wav, but I'm always tweaking all the knobs and changing some automation and I want to create songs fast. I like to tweak different knobs and hear it live :-)

Thanks for replys :-)

Luke Satin
Thu May 05, 2011 2:10 pm

x

Re: Upgrade to ASIO soundcard or better CPU?

Thanks for the answer! I have the same opinion ...

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”