Mississippi *@!!?*@! | Protest song | Instrumental cover

Place to exchange music made in FL Studio with others

Return to “Song Exchange”

Forum rules
Songs uploaded to this forum must have titles in the following format:

Song Title | Free comment | Genre

If uploading files here please use mp3 format. Or use a Soundcloud or Clyp.it link that will play in the forum. If you want to share FL Studio projects please use the 'flp exchange' forum.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Schwa Iska
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:57 pm

x

Mississippi *@!!?*@! | Protest song | Instrumental cover

Big block of text coming. See tl;dr at the bottom if it's too much.

I had debated posting this on this forum. It was a busy week. It's tax return season in the U.S.A. so I was working on that over the weekend. I compromised with myself on what I was going to post back on Monday which is when I actually uploaded this to Soundcloud (if you don't know I've been uploading new music every Monday since June of last year).

The track is a cover and I censored it in the title of this post the same way that the original artist, Nina Simone, had to on her record cover art. I didn't censor it in the body of this post however which I hope is okay with the mods.

Uploading every Monday, even if it's a W.I.P.

This is a tribute to the late, great Nina Simone. This instrumental was made for burlesque performer, Cruel Valentine, to sing and strip to. It was first performed at the very first Jeezy's Juke Joint, an annual all Black burlesque revue back in 2011.

Mississippi Goddam is not a light song by any stretch. For context, this is the version of the song I based the instrumental off of:

There's a certain contentiousness that Nina Simone was known to employ in her live performances and that recording in particular seemed to capture her way of dealing with uneasy subject matters. The audience is laughing at the beginning, but not in the end. It seemed like the perfect fit for a burlesque tribute.

This instrumental that I'm posting today is what I'm calling a "new work in progress". I've got several projects I've working on this week including doing my taxes and posting this just made sense. I've gotten a lot better at transcribing chords since I first did this and I want make use of that. I expect to have that done in a few weeks and I'll re-post it then.

tl;dr I'm redoing this cover so any feedback on it as now will be appreciated :)

Return to “Song Exchange”