Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Diblis
Sun May 29, 2022 12:44 am

x

Various (Possible) Organizational Improvements

1.) Time Marker Section Demarcation

It is often useful in larger, more complicated projects to use Time Markers to separate parts of your songs, however, the utility could still be improved by adding some form of mark on the playlist to more easily tell from a glance the beginning and end of certain sections, this keeps you looking at the playlist itself rather than the timeline. My idea is to allow us to add colors to Time Markers which tint the playlist based on the color, see the following pictures:
Screenshot 2022-05-28 140907.png
Screenshot 2022-05-28 140907 colors.png
Personally, I find this much easier to distinguish, at a glance I can tell what section starts where. Even just slight shifts in brightness could be of benefit. This can be further improved by another suggestion below, color tags.

Steevm also said on the discord:
"hmm, I almost thing that I'd prefer the colour to apply to the first grid line of the section, but it would definitely be nice to have some kinda of visual indicator that isn't restricted to the timeline at the top
I don't think I'd want the background to be neon pink or lime green, but I'd be fine if there was a thick grid line of that colour
so maybe there could be a couple of options depending on personal preferences?"

p.s. please let us add the first time marker via the timeline, instead we have to go to the playlist context menu to add the first one, no reason not to let us add it via the timeline. I'd just suggest leaving the vertical height of it consistent with when you add the markers, that way there is a clear way to add them and it doesn't get in the way of selecting on the timeline.

2.) Tag Based Automatic Colors

So the way that this one would work is that when typing out specific keywords while naming Tracks, Markers, Clips, Inserts, whatever, FL would automatically select the color associated with that keyword. So for example, if you type out "drums", red will be selected.

Somewhere, maybe in the upcoming themes menu, a database of tags could be created. Perhaps you could also extend this to automatically adding icons as well? Notably, I think it should only work when typing in names, automatically generated clips like audio and automation shouldn't get colored based on tags imo.

There could be a couple of different ways of handling colors when tags conflict in names.
Ignore: Types Drums, Red, types Verse, still Red
Overwrite: Types Drums, Red, types Verse, Yellow
Gradient: Types Drums, Red, types Verse, Orange

3.) Subgroups

This should be pretty self explanatory, subgroups are very needed in the playlist, lest my projects become even more of an overwhelming vertical sprawl. See Megasphere's thread already on this for some good mockups.

4.) Contextual Automation Clip Coloring

Not sure what else to call this, but personally it really irks me that automation clips aren't colored according to what parameter they were generated for. For example, the bands in PEQ2. I create a clip for the yellow band 4's freq, the clip is colored red?? Should be yellow! Not really that big of a deal, but if it's not too hard to implement I think it'd be pretty nice for consistency's sake.

-

I might add more to this thread if I come up with (or see somebody mention on the discord) anymore ideas for organization in FL. Anybody else feel free to jump in with your own ideas, or any improvements/complaints you have for the already suggested ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “To Do”