Most important requests are highlighted with maroon colour.NOTE: This is my personal wishlist and it is mainly for my own tracking and for helping IL team. Any comments or questions from IL team would be really appreciated, so that I can explain further or clarify.
I have tried to arrange them in order of the importance. Some may seem as aesthetic features, but they are still visually helpful. Unless you have any constructive suggestions/comments, like Alphagem-O did below, please do not post anything in this topic. It's not meant for discussions, so please feel free to ignore if you don't like anything mentioned here. I will strike out the features as and when they get implemented. Also, it's my wishlist does not mean they are requests only I have made. It's just something I personally would like to see in FL Studio before anything else. Thanks for your understanding. I am glad some of you resonate well with this post.
A. ESSENTIAL FEATURES/IMPROVEMENTS
a. Playlist / Piano Roll
i. Let's say we have an instrument track with a set of patterns on it. It would be great to have options to just duplicate the track without any pattern clips OR duplicate the track with pattern clips.
ii. Let's say we have an instrument track 1 with a set of patterns on it. If we select any or all those pattern clips and drag (copy) them to instrument track 2, the copied pattern clips should be automatically renamed to the instrument track 2 and get assigned to the instrument that's on instrument track 2. This would be obvious for #i where when we duplicate the track with pattern clips, the pattern clips will be linked to that duplicated track.
3. Mixer track number, Channel Settings (applicable for instrument track/audio tracks) volume and pan controls on Playlist track header.
5. Improvements related to Playlist clip headers/title bars in Solid "behind clips" view mode and separation between clips in all "behind clips" view modes. See posts:
6. Inconsistency with real-time MIDI recording viewing/progress in Playlist/Song mode and related improvement suggestions. See topic: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=261298&p=1640915#p1640915
7. Option to colour time markers/regions (e.g. highlighting verse, chorus, etc. regions with colour) in Playlist and Piano Roll.
8. Copy-paste MIDI/event data from Pattern Clip menu in Playlist.
9. Add track number on the header that's always visible. It looks a small thing, but it is a useful indicator of what track number you are dealing with and how many tracks you are actively using in your song. Currently, the track number disappears after loading anything on it whereas it could be like: Track 1 -> 1 Nameoftheinstrument/audio. See Logic Pro X or any other DAW for that matter.
10. This suggestion by Peter Satera (aka Cinemachine?) viewtopic.php?f=100&t=231741&start=650#p1555989
11. In Playlist, the shortcut "Ctrl + . (dot in the numpad section of keyboard)" jumps forward between marker regions while selecting/highlighting them. This is an excellent shortcut. While not a big deal, it would nice to have a complimentary shortcut that jumps "backward" doing the same thing. This way, we can quickly jump back and forth between two sections during production/mixing. Ctrl + 0 would be ideal. Right now, it shows a backwards symbol in the hint panel on pressing it, but does nothing. Perhaps it should be doing what I mentioned?
13. MIDI drag and drop to Playlist to automatically create a new pattern clip.
A closely related another suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=600&t=276198
17. A small improvement suggestion regarding reducing "menu diving" on Playlist track header. It would be better to get rid of the "Track mode" menu and having all the sub-options directly on the right-click menu instead. Since the menu is showing grouped items right now, the "Track mode" can instead be shown as a "title" under which we can directly have "instrument track", "audio track" and "unassigned". We could do the same for other right-click menus across FL Studio where applicable/possible and beneficial.
The reason I am suggesting to reduce the menu diving is because you already usually have two to three level of Plugin Database folders from the "instrument track" menu. I have cut down the sub-folders to absolute minimum. However, eliminating the "track mode" menu will speed up the workflow just a tiny bit, especially for those who have deeper sub-folders of Plugin Database.
19. Select timeline region in Playlist and Piano Roll without selecting clips and notes respectively.
21. Double click on Playlist track header opens plugin GUI as well as doing it again closes the GUI. Again, this was suggested by Pierre Sosa if I remember correctly.
22. Cosmetic improvement suggestion about beginning of timeline and playhead position in Playlist, please see this post: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=272871&p=1700341#p1700341
23. Improvement suggestion regarding drag & drop and plugin GUI state: viewtopic.php?f=600&t=276198&p=1713505#p1713505
24. This bug regarding cloning (added for tracking purpose): viewtopic.php?f=100&t=274527&p=1711419#p1711758
25. Suggestion regarding dropping instruments and audio on Playlist track header: viewtopic.php?f=600&t=275213&p=1709127#p1709127
26. For Instrument tracks, selecting/clicking on the pattern clip switches the channel in Channel Rack and the pattern clip in Picket Panel, but the green indicator it does not move to the corresponding track in the Playlist. It plays the correct instrument, so this is probably just a visual misbehavour that would be nice if fixed. Guess I mentioned it earlier, but not sure.
27. Possible minor bugs with Playlist channel selection and cloning: viewtopic.php?p=1693893#p1693893
28. Inconsistency/bug with Playlist track selector: Clicking on an instrument plugin GUI, when a different/other track is selected in Playlist, does not move the green selector to the instrument track of the plugin whose GUI was clicked. The selector switches correctly in the Channel Rack.
29. Add "consolidate" option in the pattern and audio clip menus in Playlist. This way it is easy to just "bounce" any pattern on a track. I know that we can select a particular timeline region if we want to do this but having on the clip menu just gives another place to do it (in context) and a bit more conveniently for such cases.
30. Improved snapping/quantization: The snap options should be made simpler, like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and so on. Basically, simple musical note length representation instead of what we have right now. And the "Quantization" should be made more easily accessible. At least the basic and most commonly used settings. Like, directly from the Piano Roll and Playlist shortcuts/toolbar/border area. That would be really helpful in the workflow.
31. Setting default length of pattern clip for Instrument Tracks and Picker Panel to either 1/2/4/8/16 bars instead of the current 1 bar. See topic:
32. Ability to edit/rename Playlist track name by double click on the track name. F2 or Shift + LMB is fine, but it opens a dialog box, which can be avoided. Similar to how we rename files in Windows. I think this will make sense once we have the option to stretch the Playlist track header horizontally.
33. Suggestions for Playlist track header menu options: viewtopic.php?f=600&t=280367
34. Suggestions regarding Playlist track header and opening plugin GUIs: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=281221#p1736934
1. Separate buttons for MUTE and SOLO in Channel Rack, Playlist and Mixer. I know it's been discussed a lot before. With all the combinations we have it is just a bit convoluted IMO and it does not replace the ease of having two separate buttons. I am ALWAYS afraid when using right mouse click for SOLO, especially in Mixer, because a wrong combination of clicks/shortcuts when trying to do soloing (single, or grouped/bussed tracks) can just screw up the setup. I know about "Restore previous state of mute/solo", which is absolutely needed to be ON, but it is still not as convenient as having separate buttons. So, it would be awesome if all these "combinations" are removed and replaced with simple M and S buttons.
2. Not my own request, but now I realize I also want it as much as others: More Mixer tracks please; 500 would be great. Dynamic Mixer tracks allocation for instrument and audio tracks would be awesome and I think already planned?
Adding to this: It would be great if Extra Wide mode is designed to avoid use of Track Inspector. Basically, an optional mode of Mixer similar to other DAWs where everything required is available on the Mixer channel/track itself.
A small but irritating issue with Extra Wide mode as it is: viewtopic.php?t=260458&view=unread#p1635820
3. Improved behaviour of multiple-selected and grouped Mixer tracks. Right-now it is not really any useful.
[For example, regarding Mixer, to be able to mute/solo multiple-selected tracks or change their vol/pan simultaneously.]
4. More Mixer track docking options/combinations. Currently, there are some cases where a certain custom arrangement is not possible, especially w.r.t Master track and when you have few tracks docked to right for Sends.
Or at least some improvement in docking of Mixer tracks. Please refer to these topics:
5. Ability to simply copy/paste one or more plug-ins simultaneously from one mixer track to other (instead of current "save as" and "drag" system) without changing destination tracks name, colour, or any other settings.
6. Ability to reset (remove all) ONLY the plugins inserted in the effect slots of a Mixer track, keeping everything else as is. So, basically, this will be a 3rd reset option now (first being reset track to its default, second being reset track including routing).
7. Ability to save entire Mixer as a template with and without cosmetic settings like names, colours, etc.
8. Like with Playlist, ability to select/delete/modify multiple effect slots of a Mixer track at once.
9. Select multiple effect slots in Mixer and related operations, similar to Playlist tracks. Guess this was suggested by Pierre Sosa (hope I got the name right).
c. Channel Rack
1. Possible bug with "MIDI channel through" option in Channel Rack: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=260667&p=1641730#p1641730
1. A way to lock all the windows (playlist, mixer, channel rack, etc.) for a custom, fixed layout just like we have lock option for toolbars. Arrange them as you like and lock it to prevent movement. Allow multiple custom layout slots that can be saved. Only window maximize option should work regardless, so that windows can still be maximized if needed - especially needed for Playlist.
2. Sidechain button on FX plug-ins' wrapper, just like pitch/vol, etc. Currently it is much hidden and many might not even know it is possible to sidechain! Much needed!
3. Hot key for changing piano roll MIDI colours / MIDI channels. Super useful for multi-timbral instruments.
4. Improve the contrast of titles/category names in "Categories" view of plugin/channel add window in the Channel Rack and Mixer.
5. Instead of having to go to Options menu and selecting "detached", is it possible to add a "pin to top" icon to all FL and plugin window wrapper bar? and/or assign a keyboard shortcut for this.
6. Improvements and discussions mentioned on this page:
7. For Sampler & Audio channels/clips, we have quick fade in and outs, but it just reduces the volume linearly (for lack of better words). This is useful in many cases. But please add fade options so that only first or last few milliseconds of audio could be faded in/out to remove any unwanted noise/part from the beginning or end without affecting the entire clip. More like fade options in Edison. I hope this will be possible once the fade options are added to audio clips in the Playlist, but it would be really good to have them in the Sampler and Audio channel settings too.
8. A button to "mono" a stereo sound directly in Sampler and Audio channel settings window.
9. A couple of small but useful suggestions:
10. Better way to locate missing project samples by giving the option to select a folder to search all missing samples at once. viewtopic.php?f=100&t=277062#p1717631
11. Search box for selecting plugins. viewtopic.php?f=600&t=277408&p=1719386#p1719386
2. Ability to favourite and categorise/tag samples/presets/etc.
[Inspiration: Cubase's MediaBay browser. Can't get better than that for a DAW browser IMO]
3. Ability to select multiple audio files in Browser and drag and drop them inside FL Studio and on any plugins that accept them.
B. NICE-TO-HAVE FEATURES/IMPROVEMENTS
a. Playlist / Piano Roll
5. Override generic links should work when a track is selected in Playlist (even if Channel Rack is not open/focused and channel is not selected in CR). Applicable to instrument (and audio) tracks.
6. Add "Clear/Empty Pattern" option on the Pattern Clip menu. Also, corresponding option in the Picker Panel right click menu too.
7. A way to add multiple instances of (same or different) plugins at once to create multiple instrument tracks from within FL Studio (not using Windows File Explorer). I think the same applies to audio tracks. With 20.9, with selectable Playlist tracks, I think we can add multiple instances of "same" plugin to selected tracks at once, it would be great to add instances of "different" plugins at once. E.g. To add FLEX, Harmor and Sytrus all at once into Playlist to create multiple instrument tracks.
8. A suggestion related to the selectable Playlist tracks: Is it possible to highlight the track header/s itself (also) when one or more tracks are selected? Make the track selected track header/s darker to differentiate from other non-selected tracks. This is inline with how currently empty/unused Playlist tracks have non-lit track names and when you put a clip on them they are lit. This has been a really useful feature and the basis of the above suggestion.
1. A keyboard shortcut or one/two mouse clicks to Disable the "Mixer Channel FX master switch" of ALL Mixer slots at once. Also, good to have a way to disable only the first slots of ALL Mixer channels at once and similarly second, third, and so on, slots.
2. For Mixer channels/tracks: For Solo, we have S. For Mute, I could not find any. Why is that? Can we add M (or whatever is available) as a shortcut for Mute?
3. Only applicable if Mixer is going to remain as is, especially the Extra Wide mode: A way to resolve this issue: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=260458
4. Option to view colorized faders in Mixer (lifted from Cubase 11)
c. Channel Rack
1. My only wish regarding the sequencing part in FL Studio is to be able to use the sequencer with plugins such as Battery 4, XO, etc. by using MIDI Output. For example, see DrumComputer by Sugar Bytes. The sequencer alone is fantastic and it has MIDI Out, so you can actually play other drum plugins/samplers using the sequence/patterns output by DrumComputer. I would love to see it natively in FL Studio. Basically, Channel Rack sequencer converted into a note sequencer plugin that can output MIDI on different notes.
1. Custom presets for Render/Export settings.
2. Improvement suggestion: When deleting a Playlist track, once you have right clicked on a header, there is no way to know what track you are actually deleting. I mean one can easily click a wrong track for deletion, especially in a busy production. So, would it be possible to please add the Playlist track name to the delete dialog box so that we know what we are deleting? Same thing is applicable for deletion of channels in Channel Rack, effects in Mixer, etc.
3. Some solution to these issues. Might not be necessary since we can avoid most of the issues with proper scripts, but just leaving it here.
4. Controlling Keyboard Shortcuts via MIDI CCs.
5. CTRL + B is not working to toggle Blend Recording/Overdub; works for duplication only. Or there is some issue due to it being assigned to both these functions. Can we have a separate shortcut for Blend Recording/Overdub, please?
6. Can Browser auto-hide be a little less sensitive? I mean can we add relatively more delay when hiding and showing the browser when auto-hide is enabled?