Reverse-engineering linked parameters

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Scoox
Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:51 am

x

Reverse-engineering linked parameters

OK I just downloaded a very nice project by Mehran Abbasi here, and I was trying to "reverse-engineer" some internal link routings. Reverse-engineering someone else's work is a good way to learn BTW.
2015-03-03-162529 Linked to what.png
In the above screen capture, there is an automation clip linked to a parameter named "Filter #2", so I want to see the actual knob that this envelope is controlling. There is no way to do this other than to look at each one of the hundreds of plugin instances used in the project and observing each knob for changes. In this example the envelope rate of change is slow, which makes it extra hard to visually identify a moving knob. It is also possible that several knobs are moving at the same time, making the task even more difficult. Furthermore, the clip name could have been changed by the user to something else, for example "Ducking envelope" (which is then linked to several parameters), so it is possible that the envelope name and the linked targets bear absolutely no relationship.

In the channel settings window it is possible to double click the target mixer track number and the mixer opens with the target track selected. This is also needed for clips (automation, audio and score). Here is a way in which this could be done:
2015-01-09-111914 Go to target param.png
In this example the sub-menu shows all the parameters that are being controlled by that one envelope (one-to-many scenario). Naming convention would be something like <Plugin instance name> - <Param name>. The "Plugin instance name" is basically the caption on the plugin title bar (or Mixer - <channel name> if the target is a mixer parameter), and it is up to the user to name plugins meaningfully and uniquely to avoid confusion. Clicking the target param in the sub-menu would then open the plugin containg the linked param, or the mixer or whatever the target is, and maybe even move the mouse automatically to land on top of the knob/fader/button (perhaps as an option). I remember seeing something like this in Logic for locating menu items (maybe it's a feature of the Mac OS).

I forgot to add this to the picture, but it would be even more useful if the list showed the "complete path", so to speak, to the parameter. For example, "Sytrus #2 - Main - Modulation X".

The menu would be available for any type of clip in the playlist. If a score clip contains automation curves, the target params are also shown in the list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scoox on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

nucleon
Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:10 am

x

Re: Reverse-engineering linked parameters

Not ideal but for now you can go to Current pro...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scoox
Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm

x

Defintely not ideal LOL!! If it is my project I...

danaf
Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 pm

x

The automation workflow's biggest weakness is c...

Scoox
Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:48 am

x

danaf wrote:The automation workflow's biggest w...

Scoox
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:48 pm

x

Just wondering if there are any plans to improv...

Bypherkator
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:42 pm

x

nucleon wrote:Not ideal but for now you can go ...

Return to “To Do”